Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid review

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid review

Originally Posted by KenE
We are in the infancy stage of auto hybrid technology. Controlling discharge/charge cycles like Ford chose to do, may extend the HV battery for a longer period. Sounds good. Being more aggressive with the cycle, like depleting to 25%, and charging to 70%, would obviously increase MPG, but the price might be shortened HV battery life? So what is the dollar tradeoff in the long term? I don't know, but I'm sure everybody has an opinion. At least I hope everyone does. Hybrid owners seem to be opinionated, which is good.

I believe that when the day comes that our Traction batteries need replacing, aftermarket drop in battery advancements will make our present batteries seem archaic. Working in electronics all my life, I'm counting on it. Technology is wonderful. Embrace it, enjoy it, invest in it if you can Drive slowly, relax, get max MPG, and let the aggressive drivers go by. I enjoy laughing at them and their accelerated heart rates. Slow is good. $$$ savings on fuel is a worthwhile goal.
Amen to that!!!
I agree with you 100%.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by AllenF
While at first look A123 nano batteries MAY seem to be far superior to the Sanyo's batteries that come in the FEH, they are really very similar.
Yeah.... similar in the way MAC and PC's are similar.... both are computers that can do similar tasks, both are batteries that can do similar tasks... both are very different "on the inside".

The main difference is the A123 system is discharging much DEEPER than the FEH factory battery power management we currently have.
NO! Not really. While Ford keeps the battery ~30% to ~60% SOC, the lithium packs are used about ~20% to ~80% SOC. A difference, but I would not say the main difference. Most people would say the main difference is the use of upwards of 1600 lithium cells for the same weight as 250 NiMH cells is the main difference.

The jury is still out whether A123 battery will hold up better.
Ford could get longer EV runs as well but not if they want to meet the required battery life that the Gov is demanding. A123 is NOT required to meet these standards...
Very true... That's why a few dozen are being built right now for real-world road testing. They could be fantastic. They could be not much better. That is the main point... to get some on the road in daily use... so we can find definate answers to all of everyone's questions.
You can't fault people for trying! Someone had to take a risk with the current Hybrid designs... the ones on the road now were designed over 10 years ago. Think how much "technology" has changed in 10 years!
-J

Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

John

I feel sooo much better when you confirm I made a GOOD comment. As an adult I find myself to be TOTALLY content without ANY validation from onlookers etc.

I see now that you like to APPEAR so high and mighty and all knowing at the expense of those around you. Sad it has to be this way.

Since you choose this holier than thou tone as the way you respond I now know who to ignore.

Seems there is one or two on every forum, and they are quick to let you know who they are.

In closing think about this.....

Forums exist to foster communication and an exchange of ideas and experiences. Those who attack and are overly concerned about minutia and are super critical chase away all but the combative. These types of exchanges are childish and boring and foster nothing but bad feelings.

Lighten up and enjoy life and remember while life is a journey we are all at a different place on it's road as well as have different destinations. Diversity is the real valuable item not one guys opinion at the expense of all others.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just saw on "get Fresh with Sara Snow" a story about environmentally-friendly cars. They mentioned the plug-in hybrid, which can be converted from an existing hybrid for about $12,000.
Does anyone have links and more information regarding plug-in conversions?