First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default First oil change

This really hasnt been covered adequately elsewhere....
Simple question:
Assuming ordinary driving conditions,
How many miles until FIRST oil change?
TIA

Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First oil change

I would go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A couple of things - you want the oil rings to seat and not glaze the cylinder walls (which can lead to oil blow-by). So leave the factory fill oil in for at least 3,000 miles. Occasionally drive at highway speeds and run the engine up to 3,500 RPM then let off the gas and let it slow down to 50 MPH or so. This forces the rings against the cylinder walls and helps them seat.

Because our engines are not being used for all the miles we drive, you can feel safe in extending the oil change intervals to 6-7,000 miles. Call ahead to make sure whoever is changing your oil has a 5w20 or 0w20 that meets the Ford spec. and the correct filter for your FEH vehicle. Some corner lube shops will leave the old filter in if they determine they don't have one readily available.

You will want to baby the vehicle trying to get the best MPG, but it won't hurt to run the RPMs up once in a while.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 AM

Our owners manual says 10,000 miles with normal use, so that is when we change it.

I would hope the people that designed and built it, would know how it should be serviced!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Our owners manual says 10,000 miles with normal use, so that is when we change it.

I would hope the people that designed and built it, would know how it should be serviced!
It's very common to disregard owner's manual information because one thinks that they know better than the manufacturer.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM

It depends on what you want to do with the car.

I believe in Synthetic oils and so changed oil as soon as I could to Mobil One. In the case of my 01 Mustang that was at 8 miles and for my Escape Hybrid that was at 75 miles.

I keep cars for the long haul. If you don’t then follow the warranty rules and Ford’s recommended change interval.

There are a lot of old wives tales about rings seating and how long to wait before putting synthetic oils in. Used to be true 40 years ago. No longer true, just shadetree mechanic stuff now.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
It depends on what you want to do with the car.

I keep cars for the long haul. If you don’t then follow the warranty rules and Ford’s recommended change interval.
Are you implying that Ford's recommended change intervals are not acceptable for those keeping cars for the long haul?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Didn’t say that.

The question had to do with the first oil change. That’s what I addressed.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Red

According to the Ford engineers, you should leave the factory fill in until the vehicle engine is through the break-in period. You should vary your vehicle speed for the first 1,000 miles or so. Even if it is only a 10% chance you will glaze the cylinder walls with a full synthetic shortly after delivery, why take the chance on excessive oil consumption. A glazed cylinder wall doesn't fix itself.
Some manufacturers specificy full synthetic for factory fill, but their cylinders are honed differently and their piston rings are designed differently.

You would have to be pretty foolish not to follow the minimum manufacturers maintenance requirements through the warranty period. Once there is no expectation of factory help in the case of a problem, do whatever you wish.

bobbylaw - what were you driving before? I recognize that name.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks all.
I was driving an old decommissioned cop car and an old benz so I'm def new to this forum.
Thanks again to all

Quick Reply: First oil change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands