First flat in 2005 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First flat in 2005 FEH

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Hey GeekGal...

Yes... The HV battery DOES Indeed take up space in the cavity where the Full Size Spare should be. Now... is it too much space? Not sure. Because of the HV Battery, the spare DOES sit lower to the ground.

Crawl under there and take a look. A picture is worth 1000 words.
Funny you should say that. I just had, when I read your message. I'm at my folks' for Easter weekend, and my dad was rotating the tires on his '05 Mustang GT so I took the opportunity to check out my spare tire and ensure I knew how to access and use my Ford jack, lugwrench, etc.

We can get into semantics on what "fit" means, but I wasn't heading down that road. My definition of fit was "can it securely and safely be held there, in the same place the temporary spare goes. That said, I wasn't advocating we all get full size spares on our FEH's. I only used my full size spare on my Corolla once in 14 years and when it came to needing it, the spare was flat and I still had to call roadside assistance!

Also, I have the FWD model. I don't know what if any differences in clearance and/or spare tire compartment there might be, but I wouldn't assume they're identical between FWD and AWD FEH models. I'm just going by what I saw under my ('06 FWD) vehicle.

Last edited by GeekGal; 04-15-2006 at 01:30 PM.