FEH model year differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH model year differences

I am thinking of getting another pre-owned FEH and have a few questions. I am particularly interested in the mechanical differences as opposed to the cosmetic between 2006 through 2010 models. For instance are there differences between an early and late 2.3L engine or are all of them the same? Does one year offer better performance than the others or do all of them perform similarly and just the cosmetics/accessories changed over the years? AWD and hybrid performance are much more important to me than radios, nav system, etc.
If anyone has a link to a source for comparisons, I would like to know about it.
Thanks,
Ed

Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH model year differences

I was not specific about what I wanted to know. I am trying to learn about the PCM programming differences between the 2005 through 2008 FEH models that have a 2.3l engine. I am wondering if I could retro-fit the most desirable PCM to a 2006, which I purchased with the intent of making it into a PHEV to drive in winter. I saw that there are two different PCMs for 2007 and two for 2008 and I don’t know the significant differences between them. As far as I can tell, those years were different from 2005 and 2006. I was hoping that one of them might keep my 2006 vehicle in electric mode for speeds higher than 25 mph. I would like to use a 2009 PCM but am concerned that the 2.5L engine may be too much of a difference.
I have a WDS, which recognizes 2006 vehicles, but I do not know if it can see later models and if the retrofit could be accomplished with the WDS as opposed to an IDS. If the WDS would work, I could do it myself, but if I need an IDS, I will need assistance from a dealer. My local dealers have always been friendly and mostly helpful, but don’t have advice for this project.
Any thoughts will be appreciated, especially owners of later models who can tell me how their FEHs perform in EV mode.
Just so you know I’m not totally nuts. The BCMs in Ford Ranger EVs (1998-2002) can be flashed to accommodate different cell technology and parameters. I have modified two that now provide 100 mile range but I don’t drive them in winter for two reasons---too much salt on the roads and they are not 4WD.

Ed

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH model year differences

Two different PCM's for 07 and 2008 FEH models? Can you post your source?

You are not going to turn your 2006 FEH into a meaningful PHEV just with a PCM change especially duirng the winter months.