FEH High Voltage Battery Level

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Default Re: FEH High Voltage Battery Level

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I don't know if things changed in 2009 *(probably not) or if GaryG made a typo...

The correct numbers for 2005 thru 2008 models:

The HV battery charges via generator to 53% SOC.
53% is the preferred SOC and the battery will remain here and only deviate slightly during crusing. It will go down to 40% and up to slightly higher than 53% during stop-n-go conditions. To get a lot higher than 53% you need a long ( many miles ) downhill stretch of coasting or braking.

HTH,
-John

P.S. I've found no "maximum" range for the battery. The 40% to 60% is quoted in some places as "normal".... but normal is really, and exactly, 53%. If you are lower than 53%, you are below normal. Higher than 53% is considered higher than normal charge.

Below 53% and the car does it's best to recharge. Above 53% and the car tries to discharge. Only at exactly 53.0% does the car do nothing.
No typo John, the question Wax 1973 ask was about the '09 FEH which you do not have. Ford did make many changes to the '09 and I have the same issue that Wax1973 has. Not having hills to charge the battery with regen I rarely see over 51% SoC. I've gotten 52% after a long highway trip and braking on the exit ramp. Ford may have lowered the SoC range to allow more regen space for long downhill trips or better MPG on the highway.

GaryG

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I asked for your source because I seek to learn more. Your response seems arrogant.

I looked up my Wikipedia source. It notes the SOC (State of Charge) as right on your numbers, which it should since they cited you as the source.

This is all observed, and therefore anecdotal info. Please advertise it as such in the future.

To advertise it as anything else is to claim an inappropriate credibility. For example what is the specified accuracy of your instrumentation and when was that accuracy last checked to a standard?

Now that I know the Wiki article is based solely on one persons observations I will give it less credibility.

For example your numbers, and those in the Wikipedia article, are curbside numbers, not numbers underway at power. The way the system is programmed to operate at power may be different.

I am interested first in how the system is programmed to operate, then how it performs in the real world and thus how it measures up.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

This is a photo of the highest SOC I obtained during driving:
Name:  686soc444mpginmarylanStandarde-mail.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  40.3 KB
68.6% SOC which occurred in Maryland during a long over 2 mile downhill. I do not know how high the SOC would be on a longer downhill.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

Interesting... I'm curious, was that obtained in "D" or "L"? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by gpcpilot
interesting... I'm curious, was that obtained in "d" or "l"? Thanks!
d

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM

As long as the FEH is moving forward under power and running on the ICE it should not make a difference in those numbers. But it would be interesting to know if it did. The manuals advertise "L" as only increasing the charging output to the traction battery when braking or coasting.

From the 68.6% SOC above I infer that the charge discharge cycle when underway (instead of curbside) is a broader range. My guesstimate from experience watching submarine batteries (different chemistry) over the years is that the underway curves of charge & discharge is about 30-40% to about 70-80%.

So the bottom end isn't too far off but we'll have to refine the top end a bit.

This is just based on my behind the wheel observation of the system.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

the first week I had my FEH, my mother needed to move. Bad part was she moved up to big bear mt. On the way down from Big Bear (no SG) my green batt bars got all full. Well all but the top bar. I remember asking my wife to dbl look that I was seeing it right.

I'm sorry to say I dont know the % with out a SG.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM

66% is the max for my 2008 FEH, on a long downhill. The engine began to spin at this point (to about 4K RPM), although the SG indicated 9999 MPG, i.e., no fuel being used.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Sounds like you might have been in "L" for engine braking. That is how mine behaves when there is no more "room" in the battery and the braking has to be doe somewhere else, like compression braking by the engine.

It very rarely does this when in "D," even on long grades.

True?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Sounds like you might have been in "L" for engine braking. That is how mine behaves when there is no more "room" in the battery and the braking has to be doe somewhere else, like compression braking by the engine.

It very rarely does this when in "D," even on long grades.

True?
I think I was in and out of L, based on my speed, it was in the mountains.

Quick Reply: FEH High Voltage Battery Level

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands