FEH air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH air conditioning

I have a 2005 FEH with a little less than 90K miles. I bought it used and have owned it about a year.

Last summer I noted that the AC did not get particularly cold. this summer I decided to do something about it. I took it to an independent mechanic and he said that he put dye in the system and it was leaking freon. He replaced the A/C receiver and dryer assembly and put in a new A/C switch. With new freon this job ran about $600.

First, I do know about the "max A/C" setting and leave it there when the outside temperature is above mid 80's. I do know that the A/C shuts off in electric mode when at the other settings.

The A/C does get very cold when the outside temperatures are in the 80's and I am running at highway throttle, 60 mph (but not at idle in the MAX setting). However, when the outside temperature is in the 90's, the A/C only gets "cool" and will not cool the interior whether at highway throttle or idle in the MAX setting. Same with any other setting.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Is this a common problem with the early generation FEH's?

HELP, I'm hot under the collar!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH air conditioning

First, most modern day climate control systems do not have the capability of cooling down a HOT interior with the engine idling. Considering this is a hybrid the A/C system might very well be short-changed. Second thought is that the A/C's primary cooling responsibility might be the hybrid battery to the detriment of cooling the cabin.

The last possibility is that hot engine coolant is always flowing through the A/C plenum mounted heater core. If that is the case the A/C efficiency can be significantly improved, along with FE, by buying a manual water flow shutoff valve purchased at Home Depot.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM

One thought, part of the coolant is being force back into the hybrid battery pack for cooling needs. If you had a scanguage II piece of hardware you could read the hybrid battery pack temperature and better determine what is going on.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

I recently purchased a 2006 FEH and it has a new compressor and new plumbing lines and still it does not cool when in the 90's. It seems to work okay when below 85 degrees outside. Is this normal or should I take it back and ask to have them try again? It is no where near as cold as my Chevy Blazer air conditioner. Thanks for any advice on this issue as I don't know what to expect.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Mines the same way, works great on highway after awhile but does horrible job cooling interior in town at 90+. It must be a design flaw if so many are like this.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

cje2310 You do realize that the air conditioner compressor stops when the ICE stops at lights or stop signs. You can keep the ICE running by setting the air conditioner setting to run at max. Ours isn't keeping the escape cool when it is in the 90's set at max setting. We wonder if that is the nature of the hybrid Escape.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah and mine is the same way..max setting isnt keping my interior cool in town at all. If i drive for bout 10 mins in highway it will cool eventually.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Turn off the HOT water flow to the heater core...??

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I just got back from the dealer and they checked out the air conditioning system and said it should drop the temperature from outside to inside 25 degrees. Mine is dropping it 20 . He said if it has a leak it will get worse and the compressor will stop working then he will work on the system. I don't think that this air conditioning system is near a good as the one in my Blazer.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Feral Engineer

I think something is wrong with your system. Even on a 100 degree day mine will cool the cab to a chilly level. Try clamping the heater hose to see if you are getting a leak between the heater and the AC.

Quick Reply: FEH air conditioning

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands