Features of the scanguage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Features of the scanguage?

I have a couple questions regarding the scanguage (well, they're the same question, just targeted at different people).

1. For those of you who have a scanguage, is there anything that you wish the scanguage had?

2. For those of you who don't have one, are there features missing that are preventing you from buying one? Or are there other reasons (don't care about the information, etc) ?

I'm partially looking for things specific to the FEH, but feel free to list generic things, or things specific to other hybrids.

Thanks,
jeff.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Features of the scanguage?

the one major flaw in my book is that is doesn't have a battery SOC readout(I own two ScanGauges)

~John

Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by everythingsgonegreen
I have a couple questions regarding the scanguage (well, they're the same question, just targeted at different people).

2. For those of you who don't have one, are there features missing that are preventing you from buying one? Or are there other reasons (don't care about the information, etc) ?

I'm partially looking for things specific to the FEH, but feel free to list generic things, or things specific to other hybrids.

Thanks,
jeff.

There just isn't enough there for me to justify the cost. Extra information is always valuable, but there also comes a point when you're just looking at extra data for no really good reason.

I have no doubt that there's information from the scanguage that can make anyone a slightly better FE Driver, but at the same point, there's an extra investment and installation to get information that may not be that necessary to enjoying the FEH, I don't miss having it, but I may just not know what I'm missing.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:16 PM

Hope I can ask a question here without hijacking the thread.

I'm planning to buy an '07 AWD FEH (my first new car), and trying to make a decision on the $2k nav system option. I don't feel the need for the GPS or upgraded audio, but I'm wondering if the "Hybrid Energy" functions would justify the cost. Or could I get most of that functionality with the much less costly ScanGauge? I'd like to try some of the hypermiler techniques mentioned in this forum and just wonder if the nav system is required for that.

Thanks for any advice.

Don

Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Hope I can ask a question here without hijacking the thread.

I'm planning to buy an '07 AWD FEH (my first new car), and trying to make a decision on the $2k nav system option. I don't feel the need for the GPS or upgraded audio, but I'm wondering if the "Hybrid Energy" functions would justify the cost. Or could I get most of that functionality with the much less costly ScanGauge? I'd like to try some of the hypermiler techniques mentioned in this forum and just wonder if the nav system is required for that.

Thanks for any advice.

Don
I went with the NAV system option, after much encouragement from FEH owners in another forum (I wasn't yet a member of GreenHybrid.) I don't regret it. I didn't need the GPS since I have a high end portable GPS (Garmin Streetpilot 2720) that I use in the FEH and any other vehicle I drive; that said, I have used the built-in GPS and there's something cool about the audio commands coming through all the vehicle's speakers vs. the little power plug my Garmin uses. I preferred the mid-tier option for audio (which actually supports MP3 CD's, I believe, which the NAV system does not,) but I have since integrated my iPod Nano into my FEH (via a FRDW/PC-POD which plugs into the 6 disc CD changer under the passenger seat in FEH's w/the NAV option.)

All this didn't trump the fact that I wanted my hybrid to have all the hybrid bells and whistles, and that meant the NAV system with the energy management screens. I find it's especially useful when explaining/demonstrating the vehicle to others -- letting them observe the energy management screen really engages them in understanding the vehicle and how it operates. And the MPG display is rewarding and highly useful -- I would have to have a ScanGauge if I didn't have the NAV; I am too addicted to keeping track of my MPG in real-time and over segments, not just per tank. Since I already have the GPS installed having a Scan Gauge would mean one more gadget cluttering up my dash area, so I'm happy to have the info it provides (and more -- the battery State of Charge is very important to my driving) built-in.

Without the NAV, some of the MPG data is presented in the Message Center on your dash, so you won't be entirely without that information, btw.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-11-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast

I did not buy the Nav system for my FEH because I plan to keep the car for ten years, and I am positive that Nav systems in a few years will be better and cheaper. Even the salesman recomended against it.

The only thing I regret is not having instant mpg and state of charge, but I can't justify extra $2,000.00 cost. Can you imagine how much better milage would I have to get to pay for it?

I also have to agree with Pravis Prime that I'm not sure the Scanguage is worth $129.00. If it had Soc in addition to instang mpg, then perhaps. I asked earlier why SOC couldn't be added since the scanguage can be programed and the information is there. Does anyone know why?

Last edited by Dennis; 06-11-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 AM

I don't have the NAV in my 05 4WD FEH(I bought it used). I do use a ScanGauge & find it a very useful tool(although I wish it read SOC)

There is NO WAY I would pay $2000 for the primitive DVD based NAV option myself(I use a Garmin 2620 GPS). I would like to have the hybrid display the NAV gives you just because it is cool, but it's not worth $2K IMHO.

I average 33-34 mpg with mine & it's 4WD, I doubt adding the NAV display would increase my mpg enough to worry about.

I upgraded my sound system significantly myself & it blows away even the high end FORD options by a significant margin. I used to sell/install high end car stereo & I am not at all impressed with the FORD "premium stereo"

~John

Old 06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Cool Re: Features of the scanguage?

Originally Posted by Dennis

The only thing I regret is not having instant mpg and state of charge, but I can't justify extra $2,000.00 cost. Can you imagine how much better milage would I have to get to pay for it?

I also have to agree with Pravis Prime that I'm not sure the Scanguage is worth $129.00. If it had Soc in addition to instang mpg, then perhaps. I asked earlier why SOC couldn't be added since the scanguage can be programed and the information is there. Does anyone know why?
I had the Navi with energy screen the first year.
This tool alone helped me to get 36 MPG to 40 MPG. More than most people.
In January, I added the ScanGauge. With both, I now get 45 MPG to 65 MPG.
With no mods to the vehicle other than I get more data now.

Knowledge is power. Plus both these gadgets are very cool to have.
How can you justify anything that is not a necessity, but gives you pleasure?
Anyone can say anything is not worth the price.
Ever spend money on a vacation? Boy, what a waste of money... if you kept working, you would have saved the cost of the vacation, plus put a few more bucks in your pocket.... get my drift??????????

Old 06-12-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
There is NO WAY I would pay $2000 for the primitive DVD based NAV option myself(I use a Garmin 2620 GPS). I would like to have the hybrid display the NAV gives you just because it is cool, but it's not worth $2K IMHO.
~John
Hehe... it's worse than that -- it's CD based, not DVD based.

By most logic, the whole act of buying a new vehicle vs. driving one's old vehicle (assuming it gets reasonably good gas mileage, which mine did/does -- '92 Corolla) is a "no win, no way" proposition.

I figured if I was blowing that much cash on a new vehicle anyway, I'd get absolutely everything I wanted in it and enjoy it. Life's too short to agonize over $2k especially when it's financed out over 3-5 years.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-12-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

John,

Having both the scanguage and the nav system, is there any other information you find yourself missing, that could help in any way?

Quick Reply: Features of the scanguage?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands