Factory wheel model #s ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Factory wheel model #s ???

I inquired at my dealership as to the availability of a matching factory wheel to replace the donut spare. The parts guy said there are two numbers listed:

5M6Z1007AA

and

6M6Z1007AA

Anyone know what, if any, the difference is? Mine is a 2006 Mariner Hybrid. They wanted $346 for either wheel and about $120 for the Eco-Plus tire.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Default Re: Factory wheel model #s ???

Hi Tim

I posted this after I bought my spare.

"Here is the information you need to buy an eco plus tire.

Your Ford Dealership must call Continental special customer service at 1-800-847-3349 the part # is Continental 23245 and Ford # 9002-1546395-0000. The price is now $106.25 each and expect 10 days to get it or them. You will need to give them your VIN before you can even order one.

The rim part #5M6Z-1007-AA is $305.85 plus a $50 core price. Total with 6.5% tax was $492.15"

I have the '05 without the pressure sensor, so the part # may have changed for the '06 with a sensor hook up. From other post, the sensor and bracket is an additional ~$100. As you can see, the dealers are selling things at different prices. I got my first Eco Plus for $96 from the same dealer that charged me $106.25 months later.

GaryG

Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K

5M6Z1007AA

and

6M6Z1007AA

Anyone know what, if any, the difference is?
The "dumb" answer is that the first one is a 2005 P/N, and the second is a 2006 P/N. Obviously, something changed with the wheels, but I have no idea what.

BTW, you might want to check out this page.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

In thinking about this for a little while, I wonder if the difference between the wheels, is some extra machining on inside of the 2006 wheels to accommodate the TPMS???

Old 10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

My local Ford dealer sent me a 10% off coupon, so I used it today to buy a tire and wheel. The NET (after discount) prices were $105.71 and $311.04. The $50 CORE EXCHANGE fee wasn't discounted. Based on my current rate of treadwear, I project 100K miles rotating the five tires.

Thanks for posting the part numbers and order details.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tell me about removing/installing the wheel ornament on my new wheel

My new Eco Plus tire and aluminum wheel arrived via FedEx on the left-coast in 7 days. Tread depth is 11/32". And, of course, the $300+ wheel didn't come with the Ford logo wheel ornament, which I didn't think to order separately--I believe it's Part No. YL8Z*1130*FA, $26.18, which seems kinda expensive for a 2 1/8" hubcap.

In the Roadside Emergencies section, page 232 of my owner's manual, under #3, it says, "If you vehicle is equipped with aluminum wheels, remove the wheel ornament." So, they're removable. But, having looked at the wheels with and without the wheel ornament, it's non-obvious to me how the wheel ornament is attached or removed. Do you pry it off from the outside with a crowbar, like an ordinary hubcap? Or, do you push it out from the inside once the wheel is dismounted? I'm sure some learned person has done this before, and can supply a 25 words or less answer. Or, maybe a picture of the $26 critter in the wild?

Also, how are people incorporating the 5th wheel in their rotations? It's been decades since I owned a vehicle with a "real spare tire"(tm), but if memory serves me, you put the spare onto the right rear, and move the left front to the spare. Anyone have a better rotation suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Default Re: Tell me about removing/installing the wheel ornament on my new wheel

Originally Posted by arbie2
My new Eco Plus tire and aluminum wheel arrived via FedEx on the left-coast in 7 days. Tread depth is 11/32". And, of course, the $300+ wheel didn't come with the Ford logo wheel ornament, which I didn't think to order separately--I believe it's Part No. YL8Z*1130*FA, $26.18, which seems kinda expensive for a 2 1/8" hubcap.

In the Roadside Emergencies section, page 232 of my owner's manual, under #3, it says, "If you vehicle is equipped with aluminum wheels, remove the wheel ornament." So, they're removable. But, having looked at the wheels with and without the wheel ornament, it's non-obvious to me how the wheel ornament is attached or removed. Do you pry it off from the outside with a crowbar, like an ordinary hubcap? Or, do you push it out from the inside once the wheel is dismounted? I'm sure some learned person has done this before, and can supply a 25 words or less answer. Or, maybe a picture of the $26 critter in the wild?

Also, how are people incorporating the 5th wheel in their rotations? It's been decades since I owned a vehicle with a "real spare tire"(tm), but if memory serves me, you put the spare onto the right rear, and move the left front to the spare. Anyone have a better rotation suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
If you have an '06 or later and TPMS realize that if the new tire doesn't have a sensor and you put it on the vehicle its going to flag a warning. If it does have one I'm not sure what happens but I've been told the system can only recognize four tires at a time.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Tell me about removing/installing the wheel ornament on my new wheel

"Also, how are people incorporating the 5th wheel in their rotations? It's been decades since I owned a vehicle with a "real spare tire"(tm), but if memory serves me, you put the spare onto the right rear, and move the left front to the spare. Anyone have a better rotation suggestion?"

The consensus among tire mfgrs seems to be, for 5-Tire Front Wheel Drive:

Spare to RR, RR to LF, LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to Spare.

They recommend a different rotation for Rear Wheel Drive and 4WD. I imagine even the 4WD FEH/MMH would be considered Front Wheel Drive in this instance.

Rotating in a fifth wheel is an excellent idea (successfully extended tire life on my earlier SUV - good SUV tires can be real expensive). With all the difficulties surrounding purchase of the ContiEcoPlus's.....I'm seriously considering it. Even if I keep the spare EcoPlus in the garage. Found this source of FEH OEM wheels
http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/new_www...&_MODEL=ESCAPE

I do not have TPMS.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 AM

Besides the center caps (Ford vs Mercury) is there any difference at all between the wheels of an '05 Escape Hybrid, '06 Escape Hybrid, and an '06 Mariner Hybrid? I don't think so but I wanted to be sure before I buy one (found one in a junkyard that I want as a full-size spare).

Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 AM

FYI, I picked up a wheel from a junked FEH for $100. It was a little rough around the edge but in pretty good shape. Since I'm not planing to do a 5 wheel rotation it is fine. I got a spare Continental tire, not eco-plus but the regular Contitrac that appears almost the same - slightly different size treads but similar pattern. I had asked the parts guy to order me the eco-plus but I guess he screwed up and ordered the regular. For a tire I never plan to use but temporarily I figured I'll save the $20....and before anyone chimes in that when it is time to replace my tires I'll have to buy 4 instead of 3.....I don't expect to be able to buy Eco-Plus tires in 3-4 years....they will either no longer be made or something better will be available so I won't have wasted money on a tire I can't match up. I'm going to call the service advisor and tell him they screwed up....if he is willing to swap me the eco-plus at the same price I'll do it, otherwise I may stick with it as a spare only.

Also, the FEH wheel came with a Ford logo centercap if anyone needs it....it is a dark grey with the Ford symbol in the middle. They just pop in and out with a little force from behind. Plastic spring tabs hold them in place. I have no use for it because A) I drive a Mercury and B) the spare tire mounting cable goes through the opening in the center so it can't be used anyway.

If anyone wants it just cover the shipping and you got it.

Last edited by Tim K; 11-29-2006 at 12:59 PM.