Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Originally Posted by pquig
The second picture is definitely the back of the head unit, with the nylon slider that allows the unit to slip into the dash. It looks just like the back of the radio from my '98 Explorer.

I noted that the seller does not take Paypal or any other protected form of payment. The seller is also from the Kansas City area, where the FEH is assembled.

Caveat emptor!
Not thrilled with the seller, so I will not be buying it. I emailed him to ask shipping costs and he emailed me back his zip code, BUT NO WEIGHT, and told me to figure it out myself.

Gary, thanks for all your thoughtful input!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

"If I'm listening to a CD and need to take/make a phone call I have to go to Radio then mute the unit. At least they could have configured the mute button to pause the CD or CD DJ "

But at least they did but both of these functions on the same button so all you have to do is to use your first and second fingers to press the left and then right side of the button in quick sucession which is almost like a pause and mute function on one action.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Just in case anyone *is* interested, the only thing included in the auction is the head unit itself. No CD Changer. No Antenna for the GPS.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Elaine, in my post #46 I concluded this was the case. That must have been why the first buyer backed out of the deal. Thank God we have people we can talk with to find answers and solutions.

GaryG

Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by timcob
"If I'm listening to a CD and need to take/make a phone call I have to go to Radio then mute the unit. At least they could have configured the mute button to pause the CD or CD DJ "

But at least they did but both of these functions on the same button so all you have to do is to use your first and second fingers to press the left and then right side of the button in quick sucession which is almost like a pause and mute function on one action.
How about pressing the volume dial in. That will turn the unit off... effectively muting it and stopping the CD. I haven't tried it yet to know if the CD has a resume feature to pick up where it left off.

I checked and yes this does work. You can use the power switch (pressing the volume button) as a poor man's/woman's mute. The CD will pick up where it left off when you turn the system back on.

Last edited by TeeSter; 10-16-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM

With regard to whether the SG, pocket, or laptop personal computer can obtain the battery level from the OBD11 connection is still unanswered. After doing some research on how the Nav unit obtains this information, I thought I let you know what I’ve found.

Data is supplied directly from the controller area network (CAN) and then translated from CAN messages into audio control protocol (ACP) messages by the ACP module. These ACP messages are used by the audio unit to calculate the high voltage power flow and fuel economy screens.

I personally value the ability to monitor battery level as my biggest advantage in maintaining the kind of MPG I get. The battery level in city driving is important in maintaining A/C comfort in the summer and max FE in the winter for me.

Hope this information helps you elec engineers figure a way to get the battery level without this poor Nav unit I love.

GaryG

Old 10-29-2006, 08:25 PM

For those of you out there claiming that the factory Nav is "not that bad".....go test drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid with their NAV system. My mom just bought one of these and the system is...... WOW!

Huge screen....the screen is the size of the entire Ford unit. The screen is bright, clear and colorful. The maps are so much nicer than the crappy little blue and white lines we get. The database of POI's is outstanding and easy to use. The routing gives you 3 options to choose from each time. Did I mention it is a touchscreen???? Oh, and you can talk to the system too....the only talking I do to the Ford one is when I curse at it. The system also is a built in 3 disc CD changer in addition to the DVD-ROM drive for the Nav.

At what cost you ask? The Ford Hybrid/Nav system is a $2000 option. The Camry Hybrid/Nav system.....$1200. There is no excuse.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
For those of you out there claiming that the factory Nav is "not that bad".....go test drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid with their NAV system. My mom just bought one of these and the system is...... WOW!

Huge screen....the screen is the size of the entire Ford unit. The screen is bright, clear and colorful. The maps are so much nicer than the crappy little blue and white lines we get. The database of POI's is outstanding and easy to use. The routing gives you 3 options to choose from each time. Did I mention it is a touchscreen???? Oh, and you can talk to the system too....the only talking I do to the Ford one is when I curse at it. The system also is a built in 3 disc CD changer in addition to the DVD-ROM drive for the Nav.

At what cost you ask? The Ford Hybrid/Nav system is a $2000 option. The Camry Hybrid/Nav system.....$1200. There is no excuse.
I think the point being made is WE KNOW ALREADY!!!! Sheesh.. IT SUCKS... Go buy a Camry then!

This horse has been beaten completely to death by now and there really isn't anything new to add.

Last edited by TeeSter; 10-29-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Actually, there have been a number of posts saying it doesn't suck. I was just adding another comparison to show how it compares to its competition. I don't want a Camry, but I thought it was interesting how nice the Nav unit in the Camry is. As for adding something new....well, the Camry Hybrid and its Nav system are new so I thought I'd add them to the comparisons being made here. If you don't want to hear more about this system then don't keep reading this thread.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K

I agree, that is why I put a Toyota/Lexus NAV unit in my Escape:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/66287544

~John

Quick Reply: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands