Extremely Poor Gas Mileage with '05 Escape FEH AWD - PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Extremely Poor Gas Mileage with '05 Escape FEH AWD - PLEASE HELP!!!

Originally Posted by wwest
Since ABS/VSC/Trac cannot be functional with a locked center diff'l they are always automatically disabled. The implementation of traction control on a RWD vehicle is an entirely different matter vs FWD and/or most F/awd systems.

I believe, or suspect, that all RWD vehicles with traction control have the ability to turn it off. Only recently have the manufacturer's of F/awd systems come to the realization that the "off" function is a necessary EVIL.

Operating a FWD or FWD torque bias vehicle on a slippery surface with no traction control can be a pretty hazardous situation.

I have not said that the traction control braking and engine dethrottling functions are disabled at any speed, only the rear clutch coupling capability.

And take a moment to think about why ABS/VSC/Trac is automatically disabled with a locked center diff'l/transfer case in a "true" 4WD system.

Wouldn't the engagement of the rear drive in the Escape with traction control activation suffer from the very same problem.

My guess would be that the i-AWD system will disable any level of rear drive coupling the instant the brakes are applied, stability control, or traction control activates.
A conventional 4WD system that is locked, I can apply the brakes but ABS can't be activated? Maybe you'll tell me that it won't allow me to pump the brakes either! Again, provide a link to back this statement up.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Since we rely on the front brakes for a higher percentage of braking capability the ABS will need to release the front brakes sooner, more often, than would have need to release rear braking. Also, remember that the front wheels are much more relied upon for directional control, directional corrections. If they are linked solidly together then you would be sacrificing rear braking capability needlessly.

Therefore ABS functionality nust be independent front to back.

Last edited by wwest; 01-26-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Unearthing dead thread...

I read the OP's whole one and only post and was curious what happened, but he never reposted, and the thread was taken over by 4WD discussion. Funny thing is the original mpg seems to be inline with the Hybrid 4WD's 28/26 city/hwy figures on fueleconomy.gov's website.

However, it did sound like the OP had deteriorating mpg the more he drove it and it sounds as though the system either wasn't getting enough power out of the batteries, or the batteries were being taken out of the equation (cooling issues??). Hoping the OP chimes in with an update here...

"I've also noticed that recently my Hybrid is getting increasingly reluctant to shift into electric mode, especially when the fan is running, and the ICE now always kicks on above 20 mph, no matter how gingerly I accelerate."

Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
Unearthing dead thread...

I read the OP's whole one and only post and was curious what happened, but he never reposted, and the thread was taken over by 4WD discussion. Funny thing is the original mpg seems to be inline with the Hybrid 4WD's 28/26 city/hwy figures on fueleconomy.gov's website.

However, it did sound like the OP had deteriorating mpg the more he drove it and it sounds as though the system either wasn't getting enough power out of the batteries, or the batteries were being taken out of the equation (cooling issues??). Hoping the OP chimes in with an update here...

"I've also noticed that recently my Hybrid is getting increasingly reluctant to shift into electric mode, especially when the fan is running, and the ICE now always kicks on above 20 mph, no matter how gingerly I accelerate."
I'm actually getting about 29 in town and a bit over 30 on the road with my 08 AWD. It has gone down a bit; I was at 30 in town for the first couple of years. But I changed out two of the tires to ones with more grip and that seems to have knocked my MPG down. I seldom get to 20 MPH when accelerating on a warm engine before the ICE kicks in. I confess I'm not being as careful to accelerate slowly & etc. as before.

What exactly are your MPG numbers?

Not a lot of AWD here in so cal.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I'm actually getting about 29 in town and a bit over 30 on the road with my 08 AWD. It has gone down a bit; I was at 30 in town for the first couple of years. But I changed out two of the tires to ones with more grip and that seems to have knocked my MPG down. I seldom get to 20 MPH when accelerating on a warm engine before the ICE kicks in. I confess I'm not being as careful to accelerate slowly & etc. as before.

What exactly are your MPG numbers?

Not a lot of AWD here in so cal.
I should mention the mileage figures I quoted are for the OP's 2005 AWD model. Sounds like you're getting close to your 08's 29 city / 27 hwy #s though.

I just bought a used 08 FWD with 72k on it and after 133 miles of ~50/50 city/hwy driving with some stop-and-go hwy mixed in averaged 33.5 according to both my calculator AND the escape's estimate, which is what i'd expect from the 34/30 mpg estimates. I was surprised both the Escape and my calculated #s were so close since most vehicles read higher mpg #s than what you actually got.