Escape Hybrid^2

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape Hybrid^2

I changed my battery coolant pump. I was surprised that the new one was so much smaller. I was briefly confused when I first found a similar looking pump on the driver side of the radiator bottom. It's a coolant pump too. Who knows what it's purpose is? I'm probably going to get the factory service manual.

Added a Scanguage II still need to program in the Xcodes. Getting ready to remove the battery pack from my wrecked 2006 FEH. I'll up load some photos too. Paul

Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by RF Geek PC
I changed my battery coolant pump. I was surprised that the new one was so much smaller. I was briefly confused when I first found a similar looking pump on the driver side of the radiator bottom. It's a coolant pump too. Who knows what it's purpose is? I'm probably going to get the factory service manual.

Added a Scanguage II still need to program in the Xcodes. Getting ready to remove the battery pack from my wrecked 2006 FEH. I'll up load some photos too. Paul
Make sure you got the right pump because the smaller pump is for the cabin heater. There are two cabin heater pumps with one being a belt driven pump and the other an electric pump that only comes On in EV. This is because in EV, the belt driven pump stops, but you still need hot coolant to circulate for the heater in EV.

GaryG

Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Are still thinking of hacking into the Escape Hybrid, I know one that have tried it too.. it would only increase MPG when drive and did not have much of EV mode..Unlike The Prius conversion , but Escape has a larger e motor..
We are doing the Prius EV conversion with 10 Kw pack ..
Also have box that well fit a Escape .. can help you with and supply you some Batteries..

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001prius-ev
Are still thinking of hacking into the Escape Hybrid, I know one that have tried it too.. it would only increase MPG when drive and did not have much of EV mode..Unlike The Prius conversion , but Escape has a larger e motor..
We are doing the Prius EV conversion with 10 Kw pack ..
Also have box that well fit a Escape .. can help you with and supply you some Batteries..
There has been a first hand report on driving a converted Escape by gps1man. The conversion was done by Hybrid Plus out of Boulder, Co. and this company is out of business due to a Prius conversion fire. There are several other small companies that have done conversion. There is even a "mild" PHEV conversion company that has dealers in Madison, Wisconsin, Minneapolis, Ohio, Michigan and where else but owners are reporting on reliability issues with components other than the battery sticks.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

We've not heard from RF Geek in awhile. Anyone know if he survived this "I thought it was a good idea at the time" venture?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RF Geek PC
Hi All - I'm new to this forum but I already like what I've read so far. I'm about to embark on a project to double the battery capacity of my 2007 FEH. Over memorial day I was rear ended in my 2006 FEH - this vehicle was totaled but not dead...

I purchased the 2006 back from my insurance company and just bought a used 2007. The hybrid battery was not damaged in the accident and I plan to add it in parallel to my 2007s - locating it above the original pack.

I'm interested in any input folks out there might have to offer (including don't start). I plan to take photos and share with everyone here.

Take care - Paul (RFgeekPC)

Caution, Danger....Danger!

Connecting 2 multicell battery packs in parallel can be fraught with peril, HAZARD!

If a cell should short on one side then the other side will begin dumping ALL of it's charge into the pack with the shorted cell....

Fire, FIRE, FIRE!