Electrical short in brakes? Or bad 12V battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Electrical short in brakes? Or bad 12V battery?

So my 2006 FEH occasionally will not start. It will tell me to "service brake system" and won't crank. I'll turn the key back to the "off" position and then try again--usually the second time it will work.

Sometimes when I remotely unlock it, especially if I unlock all the doors so I can drop my stuff in the back, the locks will keep unlocking over & over, while the gauges and needles shake and freak out, and the dash warning lights come on and off.

Usually, I can turn put the key in and try to crank (no response), then turn it back to the "off" position and wait, then it will crank up, but with the whole computer reset (Avg MPG, trip odometer, etc. but not the regular odometer or oil change calculator).

So do I have a short in my brakes? Or is my 12V battery bad? I know the 12V charge was a little low when I tested it (12.3V), but that's not that low, is it? Especially since it's not doing the actual cranking, right?

By the way, I have just about always waited for the brakes to pressurize before cranking it up. I am continuing to do so, if that's helpful at all.

Thanks, folks.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Electrical short in brakes? Or bad 12V battery?

I've never had this type of problem, but I wonder if it might be a bad ground connection?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Any ideas, folks? I'm trying to get this diagnosed (with reasonable certainty) before I go spend a ton at my dealer to get them to look at it. Our local dealer charges a ton in fees and takes all day long. Being that I have no time b/c I;m in school, and no money b/c I'm unemployed currently...you guys are my mechanics. Hopefully, it will be something I can fix or replace over Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Maybe even just a new 12V battery?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

I'll double check it. I made a good connection after I replaced the spark plugs, then put dielectric on the outside of the terminal to impede corrosion. But I'll take another look at it. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Did you try cleaning your 12v battery terminals? I'd also check the other end of those cables to make sure they're clean and tight.

O/W might be a relay problem.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know times might be tight but I think I would try swapping out the relays that have been mentioned by GaryG in several threads.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hutdown-19843/

The part number is FOAZ-14N089-A and he points them out in this picture. Looks like they run around $15 and you should just be able to get one and try it in the different locations to start.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry I haven't replied...got busy and yadda yadda. So I replaced the 12v battery b/c I tested it and it was bad. I figured it would last a while since there is little draw on it, but it was 5+ years old, so it sounds rather reasonable really, even if it wasn't cycled hard. The problem has been solved, I think.

When it gets really cold (below freezing, which is not often down here in Charleston) and I'm coming down off the bridge on my morning commute, I'll use my brakes a good bit (naturally), but not hard. When the brakes then try to re-pressurize, I'll get the "service brakes soon" message and my brake warning light comes on. It's only happened twice, on two non-consecutive very cold mornings, on the same stretch of road. Related to the original problem (which maybe a new battery was just a band-aid and it really is the relays), or just a problem with a cold battery not wanting to discharge to pressurize the brakes?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is not the 12V battery. It might be a cracked tone ring as this is an known issue that arises initially during braking. There are threads on this item.