Electric air conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Electric air conditioner?

HI all,

Does anyone know if the planned or current models of the FEH have an electric compressor so you can run the air conditioner when in electric mode? I live in Arizona, and you can imagine how hot it gets at stop lights when the engine kicks off and you start to broil!

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Default Re: Electric air conditioner?

Originally Posted by AzChris
HI all,

Does anyone know if the planned or current models of the FEH have an electric compressor so you can run the air conditioner when in electric mode? I live in Arizona, and you can imagine how hot it gets at stop lights when the engine kicks off and you start to broil!

Thanks.
After the '09 FEH, all FEH & FFH went to an electric A/C compressor. The problem is it uses to much SOC from the NMH battery for both EV in City driving.

GaryG

Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks - My aging 2006 is still plugging along, but I sure wish I could change that one feature!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Thanks - My aging 2006 is still plugging along, but I sure wish I could change that one feature!
Until the plug-in FEH comes out, no matter what, the FEH A/C in the old and the new suffer in the kind of heat you get.

I got my son a 2012 Focus and it has aggressive fuel-cut (DFSO) so that the engine burns no gas when you let off the gas pedal above ~25mph. The drive wheels are used to turn the transmission to hold the engine idle during DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) so the A/C compressor is still working. My '09 FEH also has aggressive DFSO, but the engine goes EV below 40mph and you loose the A/C at that point.

My Wife's V6 2011 Explorer has a new low drag A/C compressor and aggressive DFSO above ~25mph. Our Lifetime MPG average is 22.6 in a lot of City driving with ~7,000 miles on it so far. This is with 100% of A/C use since new. The new 2012 EcoBoost I4 Explorer will have DFSO and a new low drag A/C compressor and will get even better MPG.

Just hang for the new models coming out and pick one with your needs, new or used. My '09 FEH will be hard to beat but things are starting to get better again.

GaryG

Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

some of that new tech they're coming out with is truly amazing. I think my 07 mariner hybrid is hytech, then I see you getting 22 mpg comined in an explorer, wow

Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"...Some of the new tech..."

????

No, mostly old tech that the automtive industry is finally paying attention to as a result of rising gas prices.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Im a bit concerned - the reports say that the FEH will be discontinued next year onwards. The replacement is some lame crossover looking thing called the "verte" or something like that. What have you heard?

I want an FEH truck!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Im a bit concerned - the reports say that the FEH will be discontinued next year onwards. The replacement is some lame crossover looking thing called the "verte" or something like that. What have you heard?

I want an FEH truck!
Can you post a link so we can all read it?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric air conditioner? FEH replacement

This may be a bit pre mature, but scroll down half way to the Ford Vertrek:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/lista...0229&GT1=22006

Could this mean the end of our beloved FEH?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

FordInsideNews is reporting that the new Vertrek/Escape likely will not include a hybrid:

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums...tz-for-Q1-2012

and Green Car Reports talks about why that is a bad idea:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ybrid-real-awd