Driving FEH From FLORIDA to NEVADA round trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Driving FEH From FLORIDA to NEVADA round trip

Anyone with any experience long distance driving with hybrids? especially the FEH? Any recommendation or concern or AVOID long distance?

Serious inquiries, need to be in Las Vegas by 10/9. Flying is an option but the expensive way because of 3 passengers. Pros on driving: avoids covid virus, but travel time is 1 day and 11 hours non stop.

Any thoughts?

I did have an experience driving from FL to CA but it was a Econoline 15 passanger van 10v engine without a problem...

The longest I have driven my FEH is about 7 hours' Orlando to Pensacola.

My main concern is the HVTB reliability during a long term drive. I did have the HVTB depleted when the car was not used for a week.

Last edited by avinator; 09-30-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving FEH From FLORIDA to NEVADA round trip

I drove my daughters 1400 miles and didn't have any problems except the seat was starting to get uncomfortable, take a cushion.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

If it's well maintained and you haven't been seeing any malfunction lights on the dash or feeling anything strange, it should be fine. If you are driving in a hot climate, it's necessary to have operational air conditioning. Don't forget to keep the rear battery vents unobstructed. Drivers side, only one on the 2008-12 units and no filter to replace. Ensuring you have a 12V battery in excellent condition is important. I would replace your 12V if it's over 3 or 4 years old. You can also have your mechanic do a pre trip inspection for you. Upgrade your auto club to a package with trip interruption and long distances tows could take some of the stress out of the equation. Bon voyage!

Old 10-05-2020, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

2005 - 09 have an evaporator in the ductwork. one part of the vent is intake and another part is exhaust.
there definitely is a filter to replace.
2010 thru 12 uses the cabin ac.
My understanding (?).

Old 10-05-2020, 05:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fglaustin
2005 - 09 have an evaporator in the ductwork. one part of the vent is intake and another part is exhaust.
there definitely is a filter to replace.
2010 thru 12 uses the cabin ac.
My understanding (?).
Correct. The filter only applies to air drawn in from the outside. The blend door is below it, so when A/C is in use for cooling the battery, the filter is not in the flow.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your responses. I ended up flying, my old 12v battery has died when I returned. Purchased a new one at costco! What are your thoughts on Interstate battery?

Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 AM

80% of the auto batteries in the world are made by the entity formerly known as Johnson Controls in Mexico. This includes Interstate, Optima, Walmart, Autozone, O'reily brands, etc. They only difference is the warranty offered by the branding company. They are all equally mediocre and dramatically lower quality than they were 10 years ago. Optima should be avoided like the plague. Any superiority they had in the past has been erased.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
80% of the auto batteries in the world are made by the entity formerly known as Johnson Controls in Mexico. This includes Interstate, Optima, Walmart, Autozone, O'reily brands, etc. They only difference is the warranty offered by the branding company. They are all equally mediocre and dramatically lower quality than they were 10 years ago. Optima should be avoided like the plague. Any superiority they had in the past has been erased.
Great info! I don't understand the outrageous price for those Optima battery. I was looking at Walmart brands the maxx but they removed their prorated warranty.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:03 PM

Batteries made in Japan or Korea generally have higher quality. For Gen2 Prius, Duracell makes a Prius-specific AGM for $210 with a 4 year non pro-rated warranty made in S. Korea. It's my go-to. I used to praise Toyota and their Yuasa made AGM batteries, but I've had enough problems with them to go with Duracell.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
If it's well maintained and you haven't been seeing any malfunction lights on the dash or feeling anything strange, it should be fine. If you are driving in a hot climate, it's necessary to have operational air conditioning. Don't forget to keep the rear battery vents unobstructed. Drivers side, only one on the 2008-12 units and no filter to replace. Ensuring you have a 12V battery in excellent condition is important. I would replace your 12V if it's over 3 or 4 years old. You can also have your mechanic do a pre trip inspection for you. Upgrade your auto club to a package with trip interruption and long distances tows could take some of the stress out of the equation. Bon voyage!
This is not correct as to the 08-09 models. There is no vent to the HVTB on the driver's side back seat area. That is how the 2010-2012 models cool the HVTB, but not earlier years.

Quick Reply: Driving FEH From FLORIDA to NEVADA round trip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands