Do me a favor - measure your cargo area for me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Do me a favor - measure your cargo area for me!

We're considering the FEH as a camping vehicle - but only if it's got enough room. If you could measure this for me, it'd be appreciated!

Lay the rear seats down, and measure from the BACK of the front seats along the floor, until the edge of the cargo area.

Basically trying to measure how much "floor" you have when the seats are layed down - I'm trying to determine if it's possible to get a mattress back there and not have it stick out TOO much (we have a rear SUV tent that we used with a larger QX4 that this worked great in)

THANKS!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do me a favor - measure your cargo area for me!

Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
We're considering the FEH as a camping vehicle - but only if it's got enough room. If you could measure this for me, it'd be appreciated!

Lay the rear seats down, and measure from the BACK of the front seats along the floor, until the edge of the cargo area.

Basically trying to measure how much "floor" you have when the seats are layed down - I'm trying to determine if it's possible to get a mattress back there and not have it stick out TOO much (we have a rear SUV tent that we used with a larger QX4 that this worked great in)

THANKS!
Whomever does this (its too cold here I'd freeze) don't forget you can take the bottom seat cushions out for 3-4" more.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I did this, though not exact, but I wanted to buy a shelf from IKEA that measured 75" lengthwise.

After pulling the front passenger seat foward as far as it can go, I was able to put the package in, slightly at an angle (one end touching the back of the front passenger seat, the other end of the package in the middle of the back such that when the hatch was closed, I had about ~2-3" to spare.

If the drive seat was way foward like the passenger seat was, I dont think I could drive.

[edit: i could measure it exact, but too much work taking out two baby/toddler car seats..sorry]

Last edited by occ; 02-08-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Just another comment on this, the Escape is one of the few (maybe the only) small SUV where the rear seat folds completely flat. I mean flat enough to sleep on. Before I got the FEH I compared the cargo areas of the RAV4, CRV, Highlander, Subaru Forester and they all had enough of an angle to the 2nd row seatback when folded down that you could not use them comfortably for sleeping.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM

OK, I pulled out the bottom of the rear seat cushion b/c that gives you a couple more inches. It is very easy. There is a little lever you pull up on and the two cushions slide right out of their hinges. Takes about 5 seconds. The limiting factor in length is not the backs of the front seats, rather the center console. Even if you slide the seats forward, the console sticks out the farthest. Therefore, I measured from the back of the center console to the rear hatch (where the carpet ends and the trim begins). That measurement is 66". I also measured the width at the narrowest point which is above the wheel wells. It is 40.5" wide at that point. Hope this helps.

{edit}

I wanted to add that the center of the cargo area is the longest point b/c the hatch and the floor are actually curved but the center does have about a 4" gap where the latch is. The sides of the cargo area are about an inch shorter than the center. Presumably neither will make a difference as there is plenty of support for the mattress. Also, the plastic trim at the end of the cargo area is about 3" wide.....therefore, if you open the hatch and measure from the center console to the edge of the trim it is closer to 69" of "floor" to support a mattress.

Last edited by Tim K; 02-09-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like it would work - a standard Twin is 75 x 39 - so it would definately fit width-wise, and stick out less than a foot.... Thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like it would work - a standard Twin is 75 x 39 - so it would definately fit width-wise, and stick out less than a foot.... Thanks!

The question remains, though. How will you get to where you're going with the mattress in the back. Unless you have very short legs. You will have to move the seats forward enough that they don't become the limiting factor. Or perhaps I missed the point all together, and it is an air mattress you are talking about.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, inflatable air mattress for camping.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, inflatable air mattress for camping.
I like that idea. I suppose you could take a bungy and pull the door almost all the way down to keep some heat in? I hafta go pack!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Put the air mattress up a bit on the center consol and use it a pillow That way you can close the hatch all the way.

Good idea by the way...good to know the next time we go camping.

Quick Reply: Do me a favor - measure your cargo area for me!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands