Disc brakes coming back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disc brakes coming back?

If I should ever buy an FEH (actually my preference is the MMH) the first thing I would do is buy the REMCO(sp??) (TOAD) device that allows one of the front halfshafts to be "opened" and then I would have a switch to energize the rear driveline clutch full time.

A RWD MMH with the ability to manually switch to 4WD.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disc brakes coming back?

Originally Posted by spud
...if it's on a Toyota...

Willard you know you want a FEH! Especially now with the arctic winters here in the great PNW (global warming?). The 4WD and IRS sure would be nice, eh? Handling just about as nice as that old Subaru in these crummy winters...
I drove the RX about 10 miles today, Woodinville/Duvall road from ~Avondale to/from the west side of the valley. Each time I even touched the brakes the ABS would activate continuous, at one point it was so bad I decided the ABS was not going to allow me to stop before entering the "travel" roadbed so I intentionally steared into the small ditch to bring the RX to a stop.

Slow speed, SLOW speed, and keeping a goodly distance between myself and the cars in front of me allowed a safe trip.

In all that time/distance with the ABS activating continuously the VSC only triggered once, a sure indication that ABS was worse than useless, an actual detriment. Tomorrow I will remove the rachet lock for the foot actuated e-brake so I can have, use, SOLID/FIRM braking without the undue interference of ABS.

My RX was AWD, F/AWD ,but I'm quite sure the VC has failed (70,000 miles) so I guess I'm now driving around in a FWD SUV. On the other hand I do have TC for apportioning engine torque in the worse case.