Coolant Flush, What do people use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 AM
HEV's are your friend
Default Where's the Coolant Drain?

So I have never attempted a coolant flush myself on my 06 FEH. I have done it previously on a Subaru, however to be honest, I was less intimidated on that car :-)

I know that using some sort of flush is better than a simple drain and replace, and on my Subaru, I just did a drain and replace.

What do people use to flush the coolant on their escape hybrid? I am going to take it into the shop to have the brakes checked...nice coupon from Ford However having them flush the coolant, I am sure that they will want arm, leg, first born...

I am torn between the difference between Prestone Extended Life, Prestone "Dex-Cool", and Zerex G-05. I found on another thread someone used Zerex for both Engine coolant, as well as Motor/Electronics Coolant, which whatever I plan on getting, I would like to use it for both.

Any guidance is appreciated

Last edited by EOppie; 02-03-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolant Flush, What do people use?

In the mid 70s I decided to quit doing coolant flushing. The reason was simple: about 6 months after a given flush the shaft seal on the water pump would begin leaking. I had noticed this pattern across two vehicles and about 6 or 7 years.

So I stopped doing flushes. Have had no problems since. I use a good quality coolant, maintain about 70% concentration (good to -84ºF), and use purified or distilled water (but not ozonated). I do drain & fills with new A/F & water every few years.

No problems. My 92 Suburban, now at 392,000, is going strong with this regimen as is my 01 Mustang at 261,000.

Basically, if you keep the chemistry good the corrosion on the engine and radiator internals will be minimized.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Nowadays, if you bring it in to pros for coolant change it (should) gets hooked up to a machine that pumps out the old Glycol, strips off the additives, and pumps in recyled, Glycol with fresh additives. At least, that's my understanding. It's a closed system, nothing escapes into the environment, and: slam-dunk better than repeatedly running water through your system, and then...

Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
HEV's are your friend

So the group feels I shouldn't install the flush T adapter and run water through the system...

Simply drain and replace?I have 114k and have never changed it, still okay not to flush?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 PM
HEV's are your friend

Well now I feel really dumb...where the hell is the drain for the M/E coolant, and the radiator?

I located what appears to be a white plastic drain on the drivers side...

I guess I really need to get a shop manual

Last edited by EOppie; 02-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 AM

I don't like those machines. Since they are not a drain & refill they never really get rid of all of the old stuff. Second, I don't use recycled coolant. It's probably OK, but if I'm going to keep a car for the long haul then I believe it's worth it to use really good stuff.

Keeping the chemistry good is the most important. Second not putting in contaminants with the water added with the coolant is just as important, so I use distilled water.

...And don't let it sit dry for any longer than it takes to shut the drain valves and start refilling the system.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 AM
HEV's are your friend

Cool, so I plan on doing just a drain and fill...

Process: Drain Coolant, fill with water, run car for 10min, shutdown wait to cool, drain, fill with coolant.

Sound Good?

Now...anyone help on the location of the drains for the Radiator and M/E Coolant?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM

I see little benefit, and some downside, to the fill with just water and the 10 minute run.

Just drain & refill with the coolant mix you plan to use. The time without coolant or with plain water allows corrosion to occur faster. Get the mix in quickly so nothing dries out (ie have it premixed so you can pour it right in).

I use 5 gallon container so that I add two gallons of AF and one gallon of distilled water and know the mix is right. Then I have some extra mix for makeup when needed.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 AM
HEV's are your friend

Okay, sounds good....so where is the drain for each?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, if you know how to do a coolant flush on a Subaru, you can do it to any other make. The great thing about Subaru is it is easy to handle and manipulate subaru parts such as a coolant flush.

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush, What do people use?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands