Considering USED FEH - what to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Considering USED FEH - what to watch for?

Hi all,

I have lurked on here a while, mostly out of curiosity. I love the idea of the FEH. I am a long-time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner - 3 in a row, who drives about 25,000 mi a year. I commute over hill-and-dale, country hilly roads, 35mi each way. I get about 16mpg in the jeep. On the highway with the Jeep, I get 20-22 in the summer.

Each time I have switched vehicles, I consider the Ford Escape. I even rented one for a week between Jeep #1 and #2. I just couldn't find one that I liked more than the JGC, and the mileage on the regular v6 escape is about the same. However, since I got this latest JGC, the FEH came out. My Jeep now has 165,000 miles on it, and its time to start considering a replacement again.

My price range is below $12,000. I am able to find nearby in a quick search several FEH:

2005's - quite a few, with mileage from 80K - 120K.
2006 and 2007, a few with mileage from 70K - 90K.
a single 2008 FWD, with 126,000 on it.

In general, what are good years/options/etc to look for? I am most concerned about "the big fix" - some giant multi-thousand dollar repair that would negate any savings over either a V6 escape, or another Jeep.

Are some years better than others for some reasons? (Options, power, reliability). In general, what to check and look for, since finding a competent hybrid mechanic to check it out would probably be a stretch.

Thanks!!!
Jeff

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering USED FEH - what to watch for?

Originally Posted by jbrinkerhoff
In general, what are good years/options/etc to look for? I am most concerned about "the big fix"
FWIW I purchased an 06 FEH on 23 Dec 10, 75K.
Three days later it was at the local Ford Dealer with
instructions to call me if the repairs exceeded $2000.
When I picked it up the bill was $405 and that included
$140 for a 2nd remote FOB and key duplicate. Dealer
said they've never got one back with a major problem.

What research I did tells me to avoid the first 6 months
build of a any new vehicle. First FEH's were built in late 04.
I think the first 6mo build rule applies to any new model.
Mine was built 2nd month of 06.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

I assume you took it in to the dealer as a preventive/I just bought it thing? What did they do for the other $300? Just curious.

Thanks for the data point. Im going to consider this carefully. I have read a bunch more, and would still appreciate anyone else's advice and opinions.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbrinkerhoff
I assume you took it in to the dealer as a preventive/I just bought it thing? What did they do for the other $300? Just curious.

Thanks for the data point. Im going to consider this carefully. I have read a bunch more, and would still appreciate anyone else's advice and opinions.
Good question. Oil & coolant change. I was expecting a big charge
for "transmission drain fill and adjust". That came back with a
"sealed" and not serviceable. Brakes are always an issue
and as it turns out the brake usage on a FEH varies widely.
They had never been changed on mine and were worn only
about 30%. I would expect all Ford dealers have a certified
Hybrid tech. Mine has two. I highly recommend using only
a Ford Dealer with a Certified Hybrid tech(s). I also was able
to buy an extended warranty through Nov of this year.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

2005-07 FEH and 06-07 MMH vehicles had a Sept. 2007 manadatory recall for the hybrid battery harness and software programming. Make sure this work was done on these vehicles.

Hybrid battery blend door, the motor electronic coolant pump failure are two other issues for these vehicles.

This link will provide a list of TSB for Ford Hybrid vehicles: http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=24

Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Assuming you liked the 4wd capability you had with your Jeep, you might want to consider a Jeep MK (Patriot/Compass). They will get similar mileage to a 4WD FEH and some have extras that a FEH doesn't like dedicated low range, skid plates, etc. However the FEH in my experience is a great all-around vehicle. As a tip, try looking around for used Mariner or Tribute hybrids, they'll likely have lower resale than a FEH because people don't know about them.
And yes there can be high dollar 'gotcha' repairs with a high mile FEH, hopefully the sellers of the ones you're looking at can offer Ford extended warranties for them.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
Assuming you liked the 4wd capability you had with your Jeep, you might want to consider a Jeep MK (Patriot/Compass). They will get similar mileage to a 4WD FEH and some have extras that a FEH doesn't like dedicated low range, skid plates, etc. However the FEH in my experience is a great all-around vehicle. As a tip, try looking around for used Mariner or Tribute hybrids, they'll likely have lower resale than a FEH because people don't know about them.
And yes there can be high dollar 'gotcha' repairs with a high mile FEH, hopefully the sellers of the ones you're looking at can offer Ford extended warranties for them.
I rented a Compass a couple of years ago; it got pretty bad MPG, around 20 on the road, as I recall.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Curmudgeon

This is the problem with asking for anyone's opinion. For example, the 2010 4wd Jeep Patriot has an EPA 21mpg city/24mpg highway. The 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid has an EPA 30mpg city/27mpg highway. So yeah, on planet Earth there is a difference between the two. As Ford advertises, the FEH is the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet. Considering that New York City has a ton of FEH taxis (some are for sale on ebay with 260K + miles) they must perform okay with high mileage. Yes, sometimes things can go wrong. The recommendations that you have any potential purchase fully checked out is sound advice. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee years ago (and a couple of Acura MDXs in the interim) and I can tell you that my Ford Escape Hybrid is the coolest car I've ever owned. It's nice to have the ability to trudge through 10 inches of snow yet get over 30mpg. Best of luck with your decision!