Considering a FEH vs. FFH...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering a FEH vs. FFH...

Folks,

I own a 2007 HCH that I am mostly happy with but my wife thinks it's too small and we just had another child.

I was amazed by the new 2010 FFH and shopped around for new one as a replacement and then started thinking that the FEH might be a better match (4wd, more versatile, etc) if we sell the HCH. (BTW, despite what people say, dealers will sell the new 2010 FFH at dealer cost + 300).

I went on Fords site tonight an am totally confused about changes between 2007,8,9 and 10 and electronics that are in the units (Sync vs. Sirius with traffic, NAV, etc).

Are there some posts you can all recommend that would help me figure this out. A key question is if I get a 2009, wait for a 2010, or get a used 2007 or 2008?

Thanks in advance...

Dobe

Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering a FEH vs. FFH...

The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid has the 2nd generation Ford hybrid system. It is more advanced than what one finds in the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid which has been referred to as Ford Hybrid version generatlon 1.5. There are no existing field reports on what type of fuel economy the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid will produce. There is no existing reports on whether the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid will include the software changes found on the 2010 Fusion. This is the link for the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid ordering guide: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...e=post&id=9260

Job 1 for the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid (production start) is August 3, 2009.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

I own a 2007 HCH that I am mostly happy with but my wife thinks it's too small and we just had another child.

I was amazed by the new 2010 FFH and shopped around for new one as a replacement and then started thinking that the FEH might be a better match (4wd, more versatile, etc) if we sell the HCH. (BTW, despite what people say, dealers will sell the new 2010 FFH at dealer cost + 300).

I went on Fords site tonight an am totally confused about changes between 2007,8,9 and 10 and electronics that are in the units (Sync vs. Sirius with traffic, NAV, etc).

Are there some posts you can all recommend that would help me figure this out. A key question is if I get a 2009, wait for a 2010, or get a used 2007 or 2008?

Thanks in advance...

Dobe
My recommendation is to get the '09 or '10 FEH if you just had a child and need the space. Bending down to load child seats, babies and kids in the FFH will be a pain in the back that may last a lifetime for your wife like it did mine. The storage space for strollers and shopping is much better and flexible than the FFH where the back seats are fixed. My daughter is using my '05 FEH because of her second baby in April and having the need for two car seats and equipment. She also has the roof rack now for those special needs. The electronics in the '09 can now be updated with newer downloads because of the 40 and 10GB hard drives in the Navi.

As my Sons and Daughter are leaving the household I'm finding the need for my FEH's for grand kids and helping with the extra room. I'd love to have a FFH, but I still need my FEH's for space. Also, the FWD FEH can get even better mileage than your TCH. If you really need AWD get it, but the FWD is a great bet for most weather during the year and gets much better mileage.

I got the '09 Limited W/Nav and no sidesteps needed. This is every option but AWD and sidesteps and I'm very glad I did. We're rethinking the FFH because of the room for the grand kids but I'll let my wife decide that issue. The '10 Prius is no longer an option because of the smaller space at this time. You and your wife would enjoy getting into and out of the FEH because of the ground clearance and seat height.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 06-14-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's...

If I am understanding from what I read on blue oval....

1) The 2010 FEH will be a new beast with a new powertrain available sometime at the end of the summer.

2) The 2007-2009 are largely the same except for the electronics / NAV?

3) From ford.com it looks like the Sirius/package with sync and traffic, etc would be the same as what they have on the loaded FFH (it's very nice).

Thanks,

Doberwiler

Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You got a few things mixed up:
-a new engine (2.5L) and newer software was introduced for 2009. Rear drum brakes replaced the disc brakes for this model year.
-there is no existing field report about the 2010 FEH and it is unknown what hybrid changes it contains compared to the 2009 version
-the 2008 Escape introduced a new exterior body style compared to the 2005-07 version. There was minor hybrid software changes introduced with this version.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

One other consideration is how tall are you and your wife? My 5' 8" wife fells that she has to "climb" into the FEH and that it is difficult to load groceries into it because she is lifting them higher. At 6' it seems to fit me just fine. So, you may want to take that into consideration as well, because the FFH may match your height better.

The FEH definitely has better storage and I have never had a problem off-road in my FWD version or in the snow for that matter, but we rarely have more than 6 inches on the roads at any time. So the AWD is nice, but it may not be necessary, depending on where you are taking it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I second Rob's comment on the FEH FWD vs AWD. I live in the same city as him and had zero problems with last year's ice storm in my 2WD FEH. Worked like a champ.

It really matters on where you live most likely and I don't recall seeing you say that.

Rob that is odd that your wife feels that way on the climb. My daughter is almost 5'6 and she has no issues whatsoever but maybe the entry is different on the '07 from the '09.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I second Rob's comment on the FEH FWD vs AWD. I live in the same city as him and had zero problems with last year's ice storm in my 2WD FEH. Worked like a champ.

It really matters on where you live most likely and I don't recall seeing you say that.

Rob that is odd that your wife feels that way on the climb. My daughter is almost 5'6 and she has no issues whatsoever but maybe the entry is different on the '07 from the '09.
I've only heard one complaint in four years about the FWD FEH in snow and I think that was because of lack in driving skills or judgment. Everything else seemed to be positive about traction.

I also think that it is odd about Rob's wife having to climb in or out, maybe getting around the sidesteps? I have sidesteps on my '02 Explorer and they do get in the way more than they help. My wife is 5'8" and loves both of my FEH's without sidesteps as far as getting in and out. Driving the Honda Civic lately has both of us complaining about how much better the FEH's are. I've only had SUV's and trucks for the last 20 years or so and it would be hard for us to own a low riding sedan now. I also feel much safer in the FEH.

GaryG

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Folks,

Thanks for all the info. One question regarding FWD vs. AWD (we are in Boston area and have a long driveway) -- does the FWD have some system where if one wheel looses traction it can transfer power to the other wheel so you don't get stuck?

Dobe

Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

Thanks for all the info. One question regarding FWD vs. AWD (we are in Boston area and have a long driveway) -- does the FWD have some system where if one wheel looses traction it can transfer power to the other wheel so you don't get stuck?

Dobe
I believe what you are describing is a limited slip differential. Ford's electronic version of this is called AdvanceTrac and it is standard on all FWD Escapes now. This system works a little differently than traditional mechanical limited slip/posi-traction differentials.

Quick Reply: Considering a FEH vs. FFH...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands