Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

It occurs to me in reading these posts that what the FEH needs is a radiator shutter. These were common on cars back in the day and are still used on heavy trucks and stationary engine applications. They function as you might imagine -a shutter is placed in front of the engine radiator and a thermostatically controlled servo opens and closes the shutters. A quick Google of "radiator shutter" will show you numerous examples. I didn't find any after market suppliers for cars, though I have to believe they are available somewhere. This sounds like a project for GaryG.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Default Re: Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

Originally Posted by travelover
It occurs to me in reading these posts that what the FEH needs is a radiator shutter. These were common on cars back in the day and are still used on heavy trucks and stationary engine applications. They function as you might imagine -a shutter is placed in front of the engine radiator and a thermostatically controlled servo opens and closes the shutters. A quick Google of "radiator shutter" will show you numerous examples. I didn't find any after market suppliers for cars, though I have to believe they are available somewhere. This sounds like a project for GaryG.
Hi travelover

Sorry, I have no need yet for a radiator block, so someone else will have to research that for the group. Unlike everyone else, my mileage improves when the temperature get cold (30'sF through 60's F).

If I think a new or existing technique will help you that I use and practice, I'll pass that on to the group. There is no way for me to recommend something on research only, all I can state is what works for me and how I do it.

Using FAS was a good example that gets me pass warm-up with no damage to my average MPG over the day or short trips. Knowing I was very reluctant to even try Key-Off FAS for the past two years, I can see how ohers would do the same. There had to be benifits of some kind because some hypermilers in extreme cold weather were still maintaining their great mileage as they do in the summer. I also see how they could get the same mileage on higher speed limit roads now without taking a hit on MPG. The best MPG of slower and higher speeds as well as colder and hotter weather are there for the taking. Still working on the wind, but I'm making progress with finding protected bariers along roads and changing routes for that current trip. Even on 1-95, the Counties here have been putting up tall sound bariers walls that shield crosswinds that can improve MPG on those days.

BTW, I just love my new SG2 in its present location. Night driving is out of this world with the matching backlight and it seems as though the information on the screen jumps out at you even with your eyes on the road ahead. The SG pops out of the new bracket I made with a little pressure, but says put in bumpy roads. Glad those existing screw mounts were the perfect distance apart in the right location.

GaryG