Cold temperature effect on TAV and BTM

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Cold temperature effect on TAV and BTM

I visited one of the local nordic ski areas in Northern Wisconsin today and took a few photos of the scanguage values.
This is what the scanguage values looked like when I arrived at the nordic ski area (following a 25 mile drive to the location):
Name:  scanguagereadingatafterglowreduceds.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  107.5 KB
This is what it look like several hours later just prior to the vehicle restarting:
Name:  scanguagereadingafterskiing.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  77.9 KB
This is a shot of what the values were about 20 miles down the road:
Name:  scanguageonwayhomereducedsizefromaf.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  99.3 KB
Skiing beats working.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Cold temperature effect on TAV and BTM

You might want to remind people what the TLA ( three letter acronyms ) stand for on the ScanGauge.

Also, if you want to free up one space for something more useful, use EITHER the CHT ( Cylinder Head Temp. ) or the 'fWT ( Degrees F Water Temp. ) but not both, as they are the same ( come from one sensor ) with just different offset. They will always parallel each other. Water temp. is derived or inferred from the CHT. You will never have one hot and one cool.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I think you are trying to show the battery stays warm for quite a while even on a cold day ( Tav = Battery cells average temperature )?

I find the same.
You get very good performace when the battery Tav is above 50, no matter how cold it is outside.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM

This is a photo from Tuesday AM after my vehicle had sat for nearly 9.5 hours. I was in Traverse City Michigan where the overnight temperature was 19 F.
Name:  tavandbtmincoldovernight.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  53.1 KB
Last January 2009-My vehicle sat outside at work where a strong wind existed and the temperatures ranged from -6F at 7:30am to +6F at 4pm. My TAV read 34.6F at the end of the work day. On my nearly four mile drive home from work, my hybrid battery went thru a series of charges and discharges in an attempt to warm itself. Four miles later, it rose to 42 F. Needless to say, fuel economy was not good under these conditions.

Last edited by Billyk; 01-14-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Imported from Detroit

Your vehicle is a inanimate object, therefore the wind or wind chill has no affect on it.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
Your vehicle is a inanimate object, therefore the wind or wind chill has no affect on it.
Depends on what you are referring to.

Wind cannot make an object actually colder than ambient.

Wind can make a hot object ( such as an engine, battery pack, ) colder, faster. ( makes it reach ambient a lot quicker, makes it warm up a lot slower )

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Depends on what you are referring to.

Wind cannot make an object actually colder than ambient.

Wind can make a hot object ( such as an engine, battery pack, ) colder, faster. ( makes it reach ambient a lot quicker, makes it warm up a lot slower )
Wind chill affects warm blooded bodies.

Yes, wind causes things to cool faster. So, what's your point??

Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM

I think that wind chill is caused by the cooling effect of evaporation? My understanding is that it affects people because they lose water via respiration and perspiration. But I never really thought about it before... especially in regards to the FEH!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I think that wind chill is caused by the cooling effect of evaporation? My understanding is that it affects people because they lose water via respiration and perspiration. But I never really thought about it before... especially in regards to the FEH!
That could very well be the reason. I often laugh when I hear somebody say to park your vehicle away from the wind!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Exclamation Re: Cold temperature effect on TAV and BTM

My point, in light of many of your posts in several threads is, you are not a very well educated person.

Otherwise, Wind Chill Factor is a man-made estimate ( formula ) to approximate how fast heat leaves a human body. No one can agree on the specific formula, and even the National Weather Service revised their formula a few years ago.

HOWEVER, Wind is a heat conveyor belt. The faster the wind, the faster it pulls heat out of any warm object. Plant, Animal, Mineral, or engine block.
Wind does affect the cooling or "chilling" of inanimate objects.
Evaporation speeds up cooling even more, but is not required to have a wind chill effect.

The published "Wind Chill Factor" tables are for humans. They can do this because all humans have pretty much the same normal temperature for reference... the same normal operating temperature.
There is a wind chill effect on all objects, to various degrees, until they reach ambient temperature.

Your car, when running, is a "warm blooded object" for all practical purposes, and remains so, until it reaches ambient temperature.

Quick Reply: Cold temperature effect on TAV and BTM

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands