chirping sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: chirping sound

Originally Posted by gpsman1
90% chance it is from the air conditioner compressor clutch and/or belt.
Excuse the question. If this was the culprit of the noise, would it still occur when the AC was not being used?

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes!
It runs more often than most people realize.
A. it spins once every start up just to move lubricant
B. it spins anytime the battery is over 85 degrees
C. it spins anytime defrost / defog is on

Even on a cool day the battery can get over 85 degrees since it is in an enclosed space.
A parked car with windows closed in winter can get over 85 degrees.. the battery too.
John

Last edited by gpsman1; 10-13-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Enthusiast

Chirping doesn't happen only when A/C is on...John, would what you're describing cause repeated chirping?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by 09escape
Chirping doesn't happen only when A/C is on...John, would what you're describing cause repeated chirping?
LISTEN. If the noise happens at RANDOM - The air conditioner runs at RANDOM in all weather greater than about 29°F. There is your correlation.

If the noise happens every time you hit the brakes, CHECK YOUR BRAKES.
If the hoise happens every time you hit a bump, CHECK YOUR SUSPENSION.

This is not rocket science. There's only so many causes and the A/C gets overlooked because the owner thinks he/she has it off. It is computer controlled in this car. THERE IS NO WAY TO SHUT IT OFF WITHOUT PULLING WIRES UNDER THE HOOD.

John

Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
LISTEN. If the noise happens at RANDOM - The air conditioner runs at RANDOM in all weather greater than about 29°F. There is your correlation.

If the noise happens every time you hit the brakes, CHECK YOUR BRAKES.
If the hoise happens every time you hit a bump, CHECK YOUR SUSPENSION.

This is not rocket science. There's only so many causes and the A/C gets overlooked because the owner thinks he/she has it off. It is computer controlled in this car. THERE IS NO WAY TO SHUT IT OFF WITHOUT PULLING WIRES UNDER THE HOOD.

John
The noise appears to be coming from the rear suspension on my 2008. I only hear it occasionally and when the windows are down - which tends to be in cooler weather, lower speeds, and obviously the A/C is off. Yes, I know the compressor can kick in to cool the battery, but at the temps I was at I don't think the battery was that hot. But I don't program my SG to check for the A/C, so I can't be sure.

But it sure sounds like the rear suspension.