Chirp coming from the front, not the back

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Chirp coming from the front, not the back

I have a 2008 FEH and have a chirp in the front end as well. The dealership told me it was the ac unit kicking on and the chirp was from the ac clutch. That was fine, but it happened when the ac was off. I had to take the service manager on a road trip to point it out to him. According to the dealership they phoned Ford and was told that the ac unit is used to cool the hybrid battery and thus it would come on when the ac was off as well giving the annoying chirp. In other words according to them all was well. If you come up with any solutions to minimize the noise I would love to hear it.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast

I posted once, but evidently did something wrong.
I have a 2008 FEH and also have a chirp from the front end that showed up about 3 months after purchase. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the ac unit clutch engaging making the chirp. I said that was funny since I hear it when the ac is off. I took the service manager on a test drive and pointed it out. According to the dealership they called the factory because they couldn't figure it out. The story I got was that the ac clutch will engage even when the ac is off in the cab because it's still used to cool the hybrid battery.
If anyone comes up with a solution to silence it I would love to know.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinwr
The story I got was that the ac clutch will engage even when the ac is off in the cab because it's still used to cool the hybrid battery.
If anyone comes up with a solution to silence it I would love to know.
The first sentence is very true. The A/C can come on without your intervention to cool the battery. Why they can't make it so the clutch doesn't squeak is beyond me. Seems to me to be something they should replace. I have an '06 but it doesn't squeak when the A/C engages.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Why they can't make it so the clutch doesn't squeak is beyond me.
Its probably the air gap is to large and there is a tolerence so some are looser than others.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Its probably the air gap is to large and there is a tolerence so some are looser than others.
Mark E Smith:

So what's your take on that? Could it be a problem, or no worry?

Last edited by spud; 09-27-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Purdue:

Anything happen with the dealer about your AC chirp? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Purdue
I have a 2006 Escape FWD Hybrid and there is a chirp noise coming from the engine. Anyone else experience this?

It happens almost every time the gas engine kicks on from being in all electric mode. I'll also hear it when the gas engine is on as I accelrate say from 30 to 40 miles per hour, when it hits 40 I hear the little chirp.

Almost like when the gas engine is shifting. I don't notice it at higher speeds.

Anyone else have this noise or know what it is?

Thanks!
I have a 2008 FEH.

Tonight, I got the chirps. I had the windows down and the AC off. I get the chirp coming when it goes into gas mode...but what is the chirp at 40 miles per hour? That's right when I hear the 2nd one (and that only happened twice). Is it the AC shutting OFF?

Last edited by aGDevil2k; 10-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k
I have a 2008 FEH. <snip> Is it the AC shutting OFF?
I suppose cycling on or off to cool the battery. Ours has diminished somewhat, probably due to the cooler weather. I wonder if Purdue has been to the dealer yet for work on this issue?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Mark E Smith:

So what's your take on that? Could it be a problem, or no worry?
I wouldnt worry, unless it gets worse. You could see if Ford would reshim it a little tighter though.

The spec for the gap in the compressor clutch is .014" to .030"

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 10-10-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Chatter

My A/C clutch makes a grinding sound when it engages for the first time each day. I don't notice any ususual sounds when driving.
No "chirps". Mine is more like "chatter". -John

Quick Reply: Chirp coming from the front, not the back

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands