Changing the fuel filter in 2007 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Changing the fuel filter in 2007 FEH

My '07, front wheel drive, has approximately 44k miles on it and I want to change my fuel filter. I believe it is under the left side of the vehicle by the rear passenger door.

My question: Is there a fuel relay/electrical connection that I need to disconnect to relief pressure before I disconnect the fuel filter? On a previous vehicle (Buick Regal) there was a relay/connection that was just outside the gas tank that had to be disconnected prior to the change.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Changing the fuel filter in 2007 FEH

Read these carefully because the hybrid and non-hybrid instructions are mixed into the same section. Be safe. Looks like after step 6. is when to access the fuel line.

The only mention of the fuel filter in the maintenance schedule is to "replace" at 100k miles.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel system pressure release.pdf (34.5 KB, 1349 views)

Last edited by glennb; 03-28-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing the fuel filter in 2007 FEH

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

anyone know where the fuel pump driver module is located? I looked around and didn't see where N0028564 is located. any help is appreciated.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
anyone know where the fuel pump driver module is located? I looked around and didn't see where N0028564 is located. any help is appreciated.
I think what your wanting to do is disconnect the pump module power to change the filter. The module itself is inside the gas tank but you can follow the wires from the top of the tank and unplug the harness. To see the top of the tank you need to fold the left rear seat up and access the carpet fold out under the seat. Under the carpet there is a panel with 2 screws too remove. You can then see the wires going into the tank and follow them down the side of the tank to disconnect the harness. You may have to get under the vehicle to get you hands on the connection to disconnect the plug.

Someone ask me this question in a PM but clearly it is better for everyone if you post it where everyone learns how to find it. Let us know how it went also in this thread. I've never changed my gas filter.

GaryG

Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Gary,

Yeah, I just in from trying your advice. The harness that leads from the top of the tank appears to run into the frame rail. I tried tracing it down to underneath of the vehicle, but I can't find where it leads to. I gets dark and cold here in Utah early. so I'll have it again tomorrow. I also did not see anything underneath of the rear of the car that looks like the module shown in the diagram in the above PDF. I'll keep searching!

Thanks for your quick response!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Thanks Gary,

Yeah, I just in from trying your advice. The harness that leads from the top of the tank appears to run into the frame rail. I tried tracing it down to underneath of the vehicle, but I can't find where it leads to. I gets dark and cold here in Utah early. so I'll have it again tomorrow. I also did not see anything underneath of the rear of the car that looks like the module shown in the diagram in the above PDF. I'll keep searching!

Thanks for your quick response!
Be careful you are not following those other sensor cables. I think I saw three wires going to the module and the guy I first explain this to confirmed he had to get to the plug from under the vehicle. I also think I saw the plug along the rear of the tank but couldn't reach it from inside the FEH.

Those diagrams are hard to understand sometimes so I think I had to read the section on removing the module and assembly from the gas tank first. It's been a few months since I read the workshop manual and looked at my '05 FEH gas tank top.

GaryG

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found it Gary. You are correct, It's behind the rear of the tank on the left side (driver side) with the plug connection facing towards the rear of the vehicle. It mount on an upper crossmember on top of the rear of the gas tank. The picture in the PDF shown above is kinda deceiving since it doesn't show all the lines around it. Just look at the picture and imagine the connection facing the rear and then it becomes clear. Also, just follow the left side fuel tank retaining strap up to it's mounting point, it's right there.

I'll tackle it tomorrow. It dark and cold tonight and I want to watch US Top Gear anyway.

Thanks again Gary! Cheers!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I replaced the fuel filter today on our '07 FEH. It was very simple.

Filter: PN FG800A from dealer $11.44

Tools: needle nose and standard pliers to disconnect fuel lines from filter
8mm socket or phillips head screwdriver to tighten/loosen filter
clamp

Time: 25 minutes

1. Disconnect fuel pump driver module connector. Located on drivers side
behind and above gas tank. Connector is tucked up under there in a
pretty tight space so for large hands may be a little hard to get at.

2. Start engine and let it die. Only took about 3 seconds.

3. Locate fuel filter. On drivers side underneath between front and back
door. You can't miss it, diameter of a soup can.

4. Unfasten clips from fuel filter using pliers. You need 2 sizes of pliers
both clips are different widths. To unfasten clips you will squeeze each
end of the clips in and push up.

5. Remove fuel lines from each end. Have a small container ready to catch
dripping gas, remove fuel lines and allow lines and filter to drain.

6. Loosen fuel filter clamp using 8mm socket or phillips head screw driver
and remove filter. Note the flow arrow on the filter to install new in the
same orientation.

7. Reinstall new filter and follow the above removal directions in reverse
order.

8. Reconnect fuel pump module connector.

9. Turn ignition without starting to allow system to re-pressurize.

10. Check fuel line connections for leaks.

11. Get a cold drink or cup of coffee. Exercise choice here.

Our FEH had 49,089. miles and the following are pictures of the gas that was drained from the filter. Dirty! I plan on changing at 25K next time

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 12-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good write up, thanks! I thought that second picture was your cup of coffee at first.

Were there symptoms of the filter needing replacement, stalling or rough idling, or did you just replace as a precaution?

Quick Reply: Changing the fuel filter in 2007 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands