C-Max Energy

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Default C-Max Energy

I have now documented a 33.3 mile range with photos http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/galle.../273-photo-24/ on my C-Max Energi. The EPA gives the Energi a 21 mile range. I used 5.7KW's during the trip, and now have a 219 Lifetime MPG with 1,660 miles. I've ran the A/C 100% of the time at 70 -71F degrees, but sometimes I precondition the cabin while charging. This allows cooling the battery and cabin before a trip.

Love this car!

Gary

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: C-Max Energy

Keep talking with your dealer and letting the higher ups know about your data as Ford can use some real world PR.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the C-Max had the utility of an FEH I'd certainly want one. But I need the AWD and cargo space of the FEH.

Keep us updated on the C-Max.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
If the C-Max had the utility of an FEH I'd certainly want one. But I need the AWD and cargo space of the FEH.

Keep us updated on the C-Max.
I was waiting for the plug-in FEH when suddenly Ford dropped the program. At any rate, my '11 Explorer can handle towing and cargo and I have no need for AWD here in South Florida.

With the backseats down, the Energi still has a lot of cargo space. The high roof allows me to carry a 150qt Igloo cooler or other big items through the large back doors. I can open the lid completely to my cooler better than in my FEH and Explorer because of the high roof clearance. The backseat headrest fold down, and you don't need to remove them like in the FEH.

Billy, I hypermile for myself, not Ford. Ford doesn't owe me anything but good service and a fair price. Even Wayne Gerdes tells it like it is about Ford's hybrids. Wayne even cautioned me about getting a C-Max, but I think he was wrong about the C-Max Energi, and I'm glad I purchased it anyway.

Gary

Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Imported from Detroit

The C-Max Energy not involved in this recall? http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...f-safety-issue

Last edited by wptski; 07-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
The C-Max Energy not involved in this recall? http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...f-safety-issue
I haven't got a notice from Ford or read that the Energi is included, but I think it must be. We'll see, and I will post when I hear something. I have got letters from Ford on the lift gate foot trick and MFT updates, but no rush to the dealer yet on my part.

Gary

Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM

It appears I've stumbled across a charging technique in the C-Max Energi that increases EV distance. What I'm seeing and reading about is thermal balancing of the cells. I was trying to run the A/C while charging with my 110V charger and found I could push the brake pedal and hit the start button and the A/C would start cooling. The car gave a message to unplug the vehicle and would not allow the car to move in EV. This prevents driving off with the car plugged in and damaging the car and the charger. Little did I know that the Energi continued to charge in this mode, but it also switched to cooling the battery with cabin A/C. Now the real thing happen that blew my mine. The engine started spinning with MG1 in fuel-cut with no RPM's on the tach, no change in MPG and very little increase in engine temperature. What was happening was MG1 was regulating the energy going to the battery so the heat of charging was drastically reduced. This allowed the cells in the battery to get a better thermal balance. The reward was what I coined as a supercharge. The battery drained much slower in EV and the range increased.

I just posted another photo of my commute with the A/C on 70F going 33.9 miles in EV: http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/galle...277-339-miles/

I now have 3/4 of a tank with 1,750 miles on the dealer fill-up and that gives me a 234mpg lifetime so far. Billy, I may have under estimated that I could get a 5,000 mile tank.

Gary

Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

The world's highest MPG vehicle that is driven as a daily driver. Way to go.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Got my recall notice today.

Gary

Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Got my recall notice today.

Gary
You did say that it probably would include your vehicle.

Quick Reply: C-Max Energy

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands