Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

I personally know the mechanics up here. They are very good and talented. And have xplan pins.

As such, I am considering holding off. an '08 really isn't THAT much more... hmmm hmm hmm... Decisions. I really wish ford had 0% financing on the escape hybrid. Seems like every other car they offer it. I wonder if they'll offer it when the current ones expire (07/02).... dang.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Methodical
I personally know the mechanics up here. They are very good and talented. And have xplan pins.

As such, I am considering holding off. an '08 really isn't THAT much more... hmmm hmm hmm... Decisions. I really wish ford had 0% financing on the escape hybrid. Seems like every other car they offer it. I wonder if they'll offer it when the current ones expire (07/02).... dang.
That was my thinking. Why buy an 06 that has a good portion of warrenty used, miss the tax break, and pay only a few thousand less then a brand new one! I doubt with the high demand there will be any financing breaks, I'd say at the year end clearance, but since these are all ready 08's that won't happen either!
Also from what I hear (ha ha pun) the 08 is much quiter than previous years, but I never dove an older one, but know my 08 is quiet, provides a smooth (both road & transition) ride!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

"As such, I am considering holding off. an '08 really isn't THAT much more... hmmm hmm hmm... Decisions. I really wish ford had 0% financing on the escape hybrid. Seems like every other car they offer it. I wonder if they'll offer it when the current ones expire (07/02).... dang."

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
That was my thinking. Why buy an 06 that has a good portion of warrenty used, miss the tax break, and pay only a few thousand less then a brand new one! I doubt with the high demand there will be any financing breaks, I'd say at the year end clearance, but since these are all ready 08's that won't happen either!
Also from what I hear (ha ha pun) the 08 is much quiter than previous years, but I never dove an older one, but know my 08 is quiet, provides a smooth (both road & transition) ride!
Why not give a credit union a try on financing? I financed mine through my CU and got a 72 month term for 6.3% (I think Ford was at 7.5). Also, I had an '05 gas model and the '08 is definitely quieter. Just be ready for some different, hybrid related noises (whines, clicks, whooshes, etc.). I am trying very hard to ignore them. Some days, though, they drive me crazy. And the basic radio is waaaay better than the older ones.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by queenfan
"As such, I am considering holding off. an '08 really isn't THAT much more... hmmm hmm hmm... Decisions. I really wish ford had 0% financing on the escape hybrid. Seems like every other car they offer it. I wonder if they'll offer it when the current ones expire (07/02).... dang."

Why not give a credit union a try on financing? I financed mine through my CU and got a 72 month term for 6.3% (I think Ford was at 7.5). Also, I had an '05 gas model and the '08 is definitely quieter. Just be ready for some different, hybrid related noises (whines, clicks, whooshes, etc.). I am trying very hard to ignore them. Some days, though, they drive me crazy. And the basic radio is waaaay better than the older ones.
The noises are faint once you take the **** on the left center of the "cockpit" of buttons and turn it to the right! (aka volume)

Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 PM

To add I don't know what saftey features are on an 06, the 08 comes standard with airbags & Side curtains. something else came to mind, but slipped out once I hit the post button!

Iremembered at work, the 08 also has the extended warrenty for the Hybrid componets (8yr/100k mi) [which maybe on previous years as well], but the 08 you can buy the extended warrenty for the rest of the vehicle, about $1k, and it's a use it or refund it! So if in 6-7years you had no warrenty work done, you get your $1k back, if you had work done, hope it cost more than a $1k to fix it! The only stipulation I can see is that it's not transferable, so you have to be the one owning the vehicle at the end of the warrenty to cash out. No prob for me, this will be like my last new car purchase, it'll be mine until it gets planted in the back yard where the previous new cars got parked when they finally died many years later.

Last edited by 08hybridok; 06-19-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM

I am sure that this is true, but are they certified by Ford to work on hybrids?

I hate to see you having to drive 400+ miles for warranty work.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM

To add I don't know what saftey features are on an 06, the 08 comes standard with airbags & Side curtains. something else came to mind, but slipped out once I hit the post button!
The side airbags & curtains were an option in '07.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 PM

So i'm an alaskan, and shopping for a vehicle. I've spotted a '06 escape hybrid that looks like just the ticket for me. I want to know if any of you have really tested it at extreme cold.

1. Emergency Cold Start. A block heater is mandatory here, but sometimes when I plug in cable will have snapped at some other location I can't see or something, or otherwise, no block heater power. How cold can these things actually start at?

I just purchased an engine block heater from the local Ford Dealer. The PN for the three parts is:
-4m6z6b018aa wire asy
-f5rz6a051b heater asy
-5m6z10b689aa wire asy-- char
I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid

. I also understand it as FEH sold in Alaska come with the engine blocker heater installed?

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-18-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
I just purchased an engine block heater from the local Ford Dealer. The PN for the three parts is:
-4m6z6b018aa wire asy
-f5rz6a051b heater asy
-5m6z10b689aa wire asy-- char
Wow, thanks.

Just in case anyone else was interested, I did a quick check on prices...

Part Number Description List Disc Price
4M6Z-6B018-AA WIRE ASSEMBLY $65.47 $48.12
F5RZ-6A051-B HEATER ASSEMBLY $35.72 $26.25
5M6Z-10B689-AA WIRE ASSEMBLY - CHARGER H $86.08 $79.09

Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Wow, thanks.

Just in case anyone else was interested, I did a quick check on prices...

Part Number Description List Disc Price
4M6Z-6B018-AA WIRE ASSEMBLY $65.47 $48.12
F5RZ-6A051-B HEATER ASSEMBLY $35.72 $26.25
5M6Z-10B689-AA WIRE ASSEMBLY - CHARGER H $86.08 $79.09

Wow! I live in the cheaper part of the state (Southwestern Pa) and my local Ford Dealership charged me $186 which included tax.

Quick Reply: Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands