Buy 2009 FEH now or wait for 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Buy 2009 FEH now or wait for 2010?

Hi.

My local dealer has a 2009 4wd limited in the lot and will take my first test drive on Monday. I doubt it has all the features I want (leather, sunroof, nav) and green wasn't my first choice.

I've read there's new features coming soon (smaller battery pack, etc) and wonder if it's worth waiting. There's also something to be said about not having to order and wait half a year either.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Default Re: Buy 2009 FEH now or wait for 2010?

Hi Rick

There are only two options available on the Limited and that is side steps and Nav Sys, everything else is standard. If you buy now you can get the $3,000 tax credit but after Dec. 31st it drops to $1,500 and may be gone for the 2010 model. The '09 is still a wonderful vehicle and you can also find another color if you shop around. Also, make sure you want an AWD because the FWD gets better mileage.

GaryG

Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Hi Gary. Been lurking and reading all day. Your posts showed up a lot.

I'm in ND (need to update my profile) so 2 seasons here, winter and road construction. AWD just about necessary here at times. I thought the credit was closer to $2000 for the AWD model.

Considered the FEH two years ago and passed on it since it didn't have VSC. My current vehicle is a '05 Rav4.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Hi Gary. Been lurking and reading all day. Your posts showed up a lot.

I'm in ND (need to update my profile) so 2 seasons here, winter and road construction. AWD just about necessary here at times. I thought the credit was closer to $2000 for the AWD model.

Considered the FEH two years ago and passed on it since it didn't have VSC. My current vehicle is a '05 Rav4.
From what I've heard the AWD is one of the best out there. And yes, the AWD presently has a $2,220 for the FEH and $2,200 for the MMH. That will be cut in half January 1st 2009.

I'm a disabled Bat Chief that drives as a carrier part time and have a lot of time to post and read. Hypermiling is a hobbie of mine that saves me money at the same time.

GaryG

Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've been tempted to bribe Gary to fly up here and give me some tips to see if i can go from 32avg to 38-40. Just haven't actually tried bribing yet...

As for 09 vs 10, hard to say. If there's on on the lot, it probably won't be for long. Order one and it might be in by 10! Until rumoros are substianted I don't know if I'd hold off on rumors alone. There seems to be some changed from 08 to 09, none yet to make me want to trade yet, lose the rear disc but gain vsc(?) whice I've never had any issues with any SUV I've driven for 8+ years now. (Kids start driving in a few years, that might be important then). Gary says the 09 drops into EV faster/easier than 08 (basicaly the double tap w/o the tap). I'd want the features of a limited, leather, heated seats, but I don't care for shiny black plastic, afaid it'll show way to much dirt/scratces.

Oh I forgot Sync, not something I need/use as I only drive 5 miles to/from work. And it seems the 09 is about $4-5k more than a new 08 was, and the credit getting ready to be lowered. I do wish I had the radio controls on the steering wheel that came late in 08, but not worth the extra $ to get it.

Last edited by 08hybridok; 11-02-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added sync
Old 11-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colchiro
Hi.

My local dealer has a 2009 4wd limited in the lot and will take my first test drive on Monday. I doubt it has all the features I want (leather, sunroof, nav) and green wasn't my first choice.

I've read there's new features coming soon (smaller battery pack, etc) and wonder if it's worth waiting. There's also something to be said about not having to order and wait half a year either.
The new Fusion Hybrid has the same size hybrid battery pack as the Escape Hybrid--330V--found in the blueovalnews.com site. Keeping the same size battery pack could be a cost saving factor for Ford Motor Company and likely indicates it will not change in the future--remember the Edge and its Lincoln version are "scheduled" to receive a hybrid version next. It is doubtful these larger vehicles would benefit from a smaller hybrid battery pack. As for the proposed vehicle not having all the features--just make sure you have a scanguage II unit. It is that good.
Name:  e30lft.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  35.2 KB

Old 11-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Everyone is welcome to what we call a free drive clinic in a FEH/MMH if you come down to Jupiter FL. Nice warm weather all year round for the most part and two of the top Hypermilers have already came down and drove my '05 FWD FEH. That was Wayne Gerdes and Billy who have Won the MPG Challenge every year. Wayne came from Illinois and Billy came from Oregon and we all went to watch the 12 hour Sebring race in '06. Billy's girlfriend drove my FEH and nailed over 50mpg her first time driving a FEH and we were all packed in it at the time.

As far as the new changes, they really are impressive for the '09 FEH/MMH. Ford really out did themselfs with the 2nd generation Nav Sys. Here is a link I just posted on Blueoval.com about the new Nav Sys and it even has two video's of Ford explaining the system:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/15/v...sirius-travel/

Enjoy!

GaryG

Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Red

Originally Posted by Billyk
The new Fusion Hybrid has the same size hybrid battery pack as the Escape Hybrid--330V--found in the blueovalnews.com site.
The Fusion/Milan Hybrids have a 275 volt battery pack and are cabin cooled. The Ford order guides and BON are incorrect. 2010 Escape available late 3rd qtr. 2009 - maybe. I have not heard if the Escape gets the 275 volt - non-A/C cooled battery pack or stays with the current 330 volt system.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Red
The Fusion/Milan Hybrids have a 275 volt battery pack and are cabin cooled. The Ford order guides and BON are incorrect. 2010 Escape available late 3rd qtr. 2009 - maybe. I have not heard if the Escape gets the 275 volt - non-A/C cooled battery pack or stays with the current 330 volt system.
Hi Red

You and I agree on this issue with the battery, I'm ordering my wife's Fusion Hybrid this next week.

GaryG

Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I just got back to town and had to swing by the dealer to see if I could see the sticker and find out what options it had and at what price. All they have is a sticker hanging off the rear-view mirror with a price of $34,000. I hoped it would be less than that even if they had to add the factory nav. I can only assume they're charging over sticker price or wouldn't have removed that.

I checked KBB this morning and found out my '05 AWD Rav4 Limited is worth about $11k in trade (paid $20k for it less than 2 years ago). Add the Avic D3 in-dash nav, auto-chromatic mirror, factory alarm, Astrostart and custom wheels/tires and I'm hoping for a minimum of $15k in trade. I'm not much of a wheeler dealer tho.

OTOH, these wheels and tires are the same bolt pattern as the FEH and the same diameter as well. The offset (-38) should be compatible as well. I'm just not sure about the diameter of the centers and if the factory lug nuts would work. If their offer sucked I was going to counter by keeping them and selling for $2k or using them for summer tires on the new truck.

Quick Reply: Buy 2009 FEH now or wait for 2010?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands