"Boot-up" time in FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default "Boot-up" time in FEH?

Been lurking a while--used this place in my decision-making before I took the plunge and picked up an '05 FEH as my new car, and even used the knowledge here on sale prices to convince a dealer that wanted $5k over to give me my FEH for $500 under. So I'm happy about this place and what it's done for me already, though I haven't actually signed up for membership yet.

Though now I have to, because I have a question--how long does it take for your FEH to "boot up" when you start the engine? According to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ford-escape3.htm, when you start the FEH, it's only supposed to take "a second or two" with the gas engine running to do all the diagnostics and then decide to go into EV mode. However, in my experience, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to three full minutes before it'll ever shut the gas engine off.

This could be because I live in a hot state (Texas), but it does this at night when it's down in the 70F range, or when I've kept it in my covered parking garage, as well.

Is something wrong with my FEH, or are the HowStuffWorks people being unrealistically optimistic about the warm-up time before it'll do full-on electric mode?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Boot-up" time in FEH?

They are wrong about that...

Your engine will run for 3-5 minutes so that it warms up, both the engine and the catalytic converter (they only work well hot) so it's basically pollution control systems doing the initial polluting. Even though your engine is running, the vehicle always starts off using the electric motor (with the engine generating power if it's running).

The only other thing I can think of is if Ford somehow messed with the computer when they sold the vehicle to areas with no pollution laws or something, and it really does only start up for a few seconds, but I still doubt that since it should still warm up the engine a bit so that it's more efficient. Maybe they forgot to mention that one of the conditions for going into EV mode is that the engine and catalytic converter must be warmed up.

If you're driving in heavy city traffic, you could go all day using only electric power.
That's wrong too. The gasoline engine fires up to generate the electricity needed, so after a rather short time in EV mode, even if you continue to drive slow the gasoline engine will come on.

Last edited by Schwa; 08-02-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Schwa
That's wrong too. The gasoline engine fires up to generate the electricity needed, so after a rather short time in EV mode, even if you continue to drive slow the gasoline engine will come on.

Depending on the circumstances, you're wrong too. I've been in stop and go traffic for 45+ minutes, and never used the ICE. I've also been in stop and go and had the engine kick on after a scant 10 minutes.

There's a very large degree of variety, just as there is with the startup times. I've been able to start her up, and go right into EV mode before I've finished backing up while I'm running errands, to starting her up and driving several miles before the ICE turns off.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

The 3-5 minutes that Schwa has indicated parallels what I have seen with my FEH. My wife, just yesterday, was complaining that it should go right into EV whilst she meanders around the parking lot to go home from work. I told her, just about word for word, the same story about warming up the system (oil, fluids, cat coverter, etc).

She then asked me if she should wait until it warms up to go, and I said "No, just go, the only reason people let cars warm up is for creature comfort, not engine. Just don't run a 1/4 drag race immediately after engaging the power."

Old 08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
FEH Advocate

I also believe it depends on circumstances and on FEH break-in. I noticed my cold start-ups have slowly decreased the amount of time that ICE runs for warm-up prior to allowing EV mode. New it used to take about 3 minutes, after several months it only takes 30-60 seconds, where my West coast temperature is moderate 70F. Cold climates would of course take longer.

On the other hand, if you have been driving around and the engine is already warmed-up, the EV mode can be used almost immediately. Several times when running my wife on errands I parked without turning key off and was able to drive off in "stealth" mode.

As to duration in EV mode, the battery charge level will dictate when the ICE comes on for recharge. If in stop and go traffic where regenerative braking keeps sufficient charge on battery you may go for longer duration without ICE coming on. However, the longest duration I have seen posting for in EV mode (on level ground without coasting or stops) is about 2 miles. A couple people even tried seeing how far they could go in EV after running out of gas and it was only a couple miles.

-Dan

Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know this thread hasn't had a reply for a little while, but you all are forgetting another aspect to why during inital start/warm-up periods may be longer than others. This issue may be the state of the 12V battery used to power comforts and safety items like lights, turn signals, horn, and radio/nav systems. Not only must the FEH recharge the 330V battery in the cargo area, it must also make sure the 12V battery stays charged as well. Especially since the 12V battery is still being used even when the FEH is in EV mode. So even though you may have plenty of "juice" in the 330V battery, the "juice" in the 12V battery (or lack of) may be what is triggering the ICE to turn on.

just my opinion.
Rich

Old 05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The initial "warm up" time from a cold soak ( several hours without running ) will vary depending on climate.

In hot climates, where the water and block is almost 100'F just sitting there, you may go into EV in as short as 3 minutes.

In colder climates, where the water and block is at 10'F it may take 10 minutes to warm-up before you get your first EV mode.

However, since this thread is "Boot-up time", the official, actual answer is:
30 seconds. It takes the computer(s) 30 seconds to do all self-checks and diagnostics.

On a fully warmed up, optimized engine, you will NEVER drop into EV in less than 30 seconds from turning the key.

-John

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

i just bought my first feh last week and yesterday i put it on the road when i went to start it i took about five minates to drop in ev mode it a 2005 with 82,000 on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Its all in the car engine warm-up. If your engine reaches the limit it will turn on the EV mode. Weather usually a special factor in EV mode. Cold will make it long and hot will make it fast. just my 2 cents.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some of this information exists in the sticky "scan gauge depository data". This type of discussion was also created last fall when the scanguage II units arrive with the x-guage features. Those with this hardware realize that from a cold start: the engine radiator water temperature (FWT on scanguage II) needs to exceed 154 while the engine temperature (CHT cylinder head temperature) needs to exceed 188 before electric mode is allowed. During colder outdoor temperatures as found during the winter months, then the hybrid battery temperature is also a consideration. This can also be true during extreme summer heat.