Blizzaks on the Front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Blizzaks on the Front?

This is my first winter in my 2009 FEH, 2WD. A bit disappointed in the snow traction up here in CLE OH. Has anybody put a set of Blizzaks on the front only for winter traction? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blizzaks on the Front?

Highest traction, newest, etc, should ALWAYS go on the rear, matter of safety. Read your owners manual.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Willard is correct. I recall a Transport Canada recommendation (we get a bit of snow up here ) that you are best with 4 winter tires, but if you are going to use 2, put them on the back. This may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't want the drive wheels able to put you in a situation where the rear wheels can't keep up. Grippy front wheels and slippery real wheels is a spinout waiting to happen.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is interesting stuff, tire chains are always installed on drive wheels. Some states have chain controls during snowstorms to help keep roads moving.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, and those with FWD or F/awd vehicles must be, SHOULD BE, excersizing EXTREME care when driving with tire chains ONLY on those front wheels. Personally I ALWAYS put rear chains on first on my '01 F/awd RX300 and then add the fronts only if really needed (or "directed").

Some states will not allow you to proceed with tire chains only on the front. Ran into that problem in Oregon more than once.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with others on the thread. If you're going to use snow tires, put them on all four wheels for equal traction and, hence, safety.

This isn't so much an issue with climbing a snowy hill or extricating yourself from a snow pile. Image cruising on flat ground or downhill with better front than rear traction: when you apply the brakes, your rear will be much more likely to swing out on you because it doesn't have the same good traction the front does. Or driving on a windy road...