Best time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Best time to buy?

I'm considering getting a FEH and am curious about whether there's a better time to buy versus other times. Has anyone observed a trend of better pricing for the FEH during certain times of the year?

Robert

Old 04-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best time to buy?

I think it's right now. There's a recent thread about how Ford is pricing them to move now (and I've heard that elsewhere recently). Plus you should still be able to take advantage of the fed tax credit.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think now, too, but I'm biased -- I bought mine now (well, March 6, 2006). I live in San Antonio, Texas -- not exactly HYBRID TOWN, USA -- and there were actually several dealerships with FEH on the lot. Most didn't have NAV and the leather seats (my two requirements, in addition to FWD rather than AWD), but just up the road in Austin there were literally a dozen or more at each major dealership.

Price with X-Plan (thru husband's/my former employer) was much better than we'd steeled ourselves for and we got a fully loaded model for less than that same mental price we'd choked down as "We really want it, so if it comes to that, we're willing and able to pay X.)

The salesman and sales mgr. didn't really know a thing about the FEH -- or whatever they did "know" they managed to reliably get wrong, like max. speed in EV mode and towing capacity -- but wouldn't you know it. The week after we took ownership of our FEH, they suddenly had another fully loaded one in the sales showroom (where ours had been) ready to go.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It is now. There are a lot of elements at play, and right now they've conspired together to create a good opportunity.

First, you've got slow sales. This means that most dealers are trying to get vehicles to move, and will be more flexible with pricing, and trying to get the sale, rather than their best sale, any sale will do.

Secondly, in most areas now there's 0% interest financing available. Makes it easier when there's no interest payments. This started as a CA and other areas deal, but seems to have expanded greatly in the last two weeks.

Also, we're pre-summer, which not only means no summer sales drives to increase potential buyers, but also gas price increases. As we've already seen, the higher gas prices are, the more likely you're going to find dealers charging a premium for hybrids, they know there's a demand when gas prices soar.

Buying this year, and in time also qualifies you for the Tax rebate which is also much better than last years, and there's no word yet on next years. It's limited to the first 50,000 sales, or somesuch, so if you wait too long, you may not be eligible.

For the vehicle itself, this is prime season. You've got warm temperatures across most of the US, which means you'll get better MPGs, and as gas prices rise, traffic usually slows, giving you more flex as you break her in and get used to her. Best to start your relationship with both of you at your peak interest and performance.

Of course, all this is IMHO. Your milage may vary.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just bought my fwd FEH a few days ago. I followed the development of the FEH very closely and had been thinking about getting one for the last year or so.

You folks are correct, now is a great time to buy. My dealer actually gave me credit for the last 3 lease payments of my F150 (the lease was prepaid) and a special "lease loyalty" of $500 in addition to X plan pricing (through my employer) and 0% interest. I think he pulled the $500 lease loyalty out of his butt since I haven't seen that advertised anywhere. Either way, I walked out with an awesome truck.

By the way, this is my first post. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now and really enjoy it. I have already put to use many of the tips for getting better MPG (two taps on decel, etc). I never thought I would be a guy who drove for FE, but let me tell you it is very exciting to see if you can make it through the neighborhood to your house on EV power only. I try to use as much of the batt at I can at the end of a trip. I figure the gas engine runs for a few minutes on start up the next morning anyway, it can charge up then.

Last point - the favorite thing about my FEH is coasting up my friends driveways on EV power. Very cool, very stealthy. Always makes my friends smile and make a comment. Feels a little like pushing your parents car up the driveway after an unauthorized night out with it.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments! I did the see the other thread about better pricing right now, but wasn't sure if there was a sweet spot during the year that might make the savings even better, for example maybe right before the release of a new model.

We'll probably go looking next weekend.

Robert