Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Default Re: Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Originally Posted by 08MMHybridHappy
I recently purchased the FIA winter grille cover for my '08 MMH. Before installing it (I have sized it and it looks like it will fit fine - although it is advertised as the '08 FEH one), I decided to get a scangauge. I want to keep an eye on my water temperature. I just installed the scan gaugeII, and it provides WT readings as one of its defaults. I understand from this forum (somewhere) that CHT or Cylinder Head Temperature is a more accurate reading to follow. I have found the codes for programmable Xgauge codes, but I CANNOT figure out how to do it. Can anyone share the steps involved with entering your own xgauge codes on a scanguageII? Many Thanks in advance.
Both the coolant temperature and the head temperature use the same sensor to reduce wiring and sensors. The PCM determines both temperatures from this one sensor so your not going to see any one better than the other. The '09 FEH/MMH has a new enhanced thermostat monitor that uses intake air temperature, engine rpm, vehicle speed and engine load to predict the coolant temperature. This is to make sure the thermostat is not stuck open, but if it is, a DTC P0128 sets. The intake air temperature may or maynot be effected by a radiator block so this winter we may have an answer to that for the '09.

GaryG

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
In ND, you'd be best off with zero slits in the grille at all!
( really, I'm serious! )

This car makes very, very, little "waste" heat.
Theres NONE to spare in winter.
I entertained that thought and like the look better.

I went this route with the idea of leaving them in year round (or at least fall to spring).

The research I read, said that blocking the grill can increase mileage. Since we don't get 100+ temps here very often and I don't run the A/C day after day like you do in the south, I thought I might be able to leave them in most of the year.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colchiro
That's what I just ordered. Hope it fits my 2009. I do have chrome going all the way down the middle tho.

Do you have access for the engine block heater cord?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Do you have access for the engine block heater cord?
You mean like this?

I've decided to try to go with the winter version.

Just figured out what the block heater checkbox was all about.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Greenie
Thumbs up Re: Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I have them... Piece of advice when installing them. Back the clips on the screw all the way back to the nut and jam them there SLIGHTLY. This will make it so its easy to turn the thumbnut and orient the clip to pass through the grill. Hook it to the back side of the grill and then tighten the thumbnut WHILE PULLING ON IT the whole time to keep the clip in place behind the grill. With a bit of practice, its not too bad. But without jamming the clip and the pull trick its pretty frustrating!
YES INDEED!!! You need to do this, it was frustrating to install the first time cause if you let up on the pressure and they slip off you have to back them all the way back out to get them latched again! Good Tip to pass on!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Greenie

Here's the pic's of the winter grill covers installed on our 2006 FEH...

Attached Thumbnails Best/safest way to block air to radiator-11-19-08_1540.jpg   Best/safest way to block air to radiator-11-19-08_1541.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM

I changed my order by replying to the sales confirmation. First thing the next day was informed that wasn't a problem and I'd get a credit for the difference, however that style wasn't in stock so will take about 3 weeks before they can ship. Meanwhile we have a low of 9 degrees forecast for Friday morning.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

I've had a plastic sign painted black on my '07 MMH for a couple of months. I researched the melting point of these signs. No issue there! Heat will not get up that high!
However, the radiator is not completely blocked. The sign is about 25 wide, 18 high. It seems that the radiator is 29" wide X 18" high. I'm going to give the cardboard a try.
So far, there's been a slight improvement in FE with the plastic sign.
I have 38K miles on my MMH, just under two years ownership. I do alot of highway driving. I strive for numbers like GaryG, etc. The most I had was in the summer with 500+ MTE & 40 MPG.
I have the stock NAV & SC II.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I put the cardboard in today. Drove 30 miles and the highest temp for the radiator got to 220 F. Not sure that's a good thing. Any thoughts?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

220'F did not harm anything. That's not bad if it is just occasional.

That's a tad warm if it's there all the time.
The negative thing is, you don't have much "headroom" if you really go up a big hill, or carry lots of weight, or need to travel fast ( 75 MPH ) some day.

Consider 184 to 190 as "normal".
With the radiator block, I'd like to reccommend you keep it about 205'F.

Hope that helps,
-John

P.S. At 220'F all the time, you will probably use electricity all the time for the cooling fans, actually lowering your MPG. 205'F will not run the fans.

Quick Reply: Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands