Best FEH Year for battery longevity

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Question Best FEH Year for battery longevity

I've done quite a bit of reading in this forum (still relatively new) and saw there is some serious debate about "best year" depending on what's important to a perspective owner. I understand 09 was the last year for the aux a/c for the HV battery. While 2010+ has a quite a few cool feature additions (bigger and better head unit and self parking), I understand it relies on passenger compartment temperature for air intake to cool.

From what I understand about driving a hybrid, I believe I've already adapted a hybrid like driving technique to get more mpgs, also I've gotten use to not having A/C with all of my previous cars (VW and Subaru).

I know the FEH relies heavily on the A/C working, but does that mean if its say 85F outside and I roll down the windows for air that wouldn't be sufficient for the HV battery?

Also, looking at the cost of the HV batteries for replacement I'm leaning towards an 09 since having the aux a/c cooling for the battery AND mechanical A/C compressor would seem to be less stress and cycles on the HV battery.
I've done turbo replacements, timing jobs, brakes jobs, etc. So I'd be much more comfortable putting stress on the ICE instead of the HV battery. Does this way of thinking check out given the type of buyer I am?

Old 08-03-2022, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best FEH Year for battery longevity

Toss-up between 08 and 09'

08 due to it being the last year the HV jump starter was present. 09 just due to the fact that it's a year newer than the '08.

FEH/MMH will manage temperature on its own. Even if you have the A/C off for the passenger compartment, it will cycle the compressor on and off as needed.

Your thinking is not correct. The use of rear A/C to cool the battery is the main reason the batteries last as long as they do. Pulling from cabin compartment was the biggest mistake Ford made... well.. that and removing the jump starter.

Be aware that most hypermiling techniques won't apply and may be deleterious. Simple conservative driving with slow acceleration, and longer braking distance (to stay out of the friction brakes and only brake regeneratively) will make the most difference.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I can tell you from my experience of the a/c not working. If its high 70s or low 80s and you drive 10-20 miles somewhat using the battery while cooling it with the windows open, the hybrid mode will shut off. Maybe the limit is slightly higher on 10+ but it's probably not by much.
So try for that 08 or 09, fellow a/c non-user unless you live in a cool climate.

Would be interesting to see how much electric a/c uses vs belt drive in terms of MPG but I'm guessing it doesn't make up for the dedicated cooling.

Last edited by ShadyEscape; 08-04-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

'preciate the information everyone.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith
Toss-up between 08 and 09'

08 due to it being the last year the HV jump starter was present. 09 just due to the fact that it's a year newer than the '08.

FEH/MMH will manage temperature on its own. Even if you have the A/C off for the passenger compartment, it will cycle the compressor on and off as needed.

Your thinking is not correct. The use of rear A/C to cool the battery is the main reason the batteries last as long as they do. Pulling from cabin compartment was the biggest mistake Ford made... well.. that and removing the jump starter.

Be aware that most hypermiling techniques won't apply and may be deleterious. Simple conservative driving with slow acceleration, and longer braking distance (to stay out of the friction brakes and only brake regeneratively) will make the most difference.
The '09 was the first year of the more powerful 2.5 L engine, that's why I bought one over an '08.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
I can tell you from my experience of the a/c not working. If its high 70s or low 80s and you drive 10-20 miles somewhat using the battery while cooling it with the windows open, the hybrid mode will shut off. Maybe the limit is slightly higher on 10+ but it's probably not by much.
So try for that 08 or 09, fellow a/c non-user unless you live in a cool climate.

Would be interesting to see how much electric a/c uses vs belt drive in terms of MPG but I'm guessing it doesn't make up for the dedicated cooling.
I realize this is apples to oranges, but I see a 2-3 MPG hit running the mechanical AC on my '09 FEH. In my Lexus CT, with cabin air HVTB thermal management and electric AC, that "penalty" is less than than 1 MPG and that is with me keeping the CT's cabin a degree or 2 cooler for the HVTB. I'm in Florida, so I'm running a lot of AC, especially lately.