Battery Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Gauge

In the Hybrid Display, where it shows the graphic of the car and shows graphically what mode your in and whether your charging, idle, hybrid, engine, etc..... is that graphic of the battery representative of the charge? or is that just a static graphic? I am just wondering how you know what type of charge the battery has? I am in day 2 of my ownership and love the vehicle, and have posted some pics.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Gauge

It is representative of the SOC (State of Charge) for your HV battery. However, I think the actual battery SOC is like 50% (empty on that battery graphics - no green lines) to 70% (full on that battery graphics - 5(?) green lines). The car computer keeps the battery SOC always between 50%-70% to stretch out battery lifetime.

There's a thread all about that somewhere on GH. There's a way to charge it more than the "full", but it would never allow discharge to less than "empty".

Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by richman107
In the Hybrid Display, where it shows the graphic of the car and shows graphically what mode your in and whether your charging, idle, hybrid, engine, etc..... is that graphic of the battery representative of the charge? or is that just a static graphic? I am just wondering how you know what type of charge the battery has? I am in day 2 of my ownership and love the vehicle, and have posted some pics.

Thanks.
Yes, if the level is just under the - + , the battery is full. It will go down as the battery discharges in EV or ED as the navi labels it. When there is only a thin line of green, the engine will restart to recharge the battery till it has a bit more charge and you can go EV again. The battery does not need to be fully charge to go EV again. In fact, for the best mileage, I keep the battery level low all the time.

GaryG

Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys.... i thought i saw it at different levels, just wasn't sure.
Can't wait to make my first post of mpg... but i got 400miles to go...

Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by occ
It is representative of the SOC (State of Charge) for your HV battery. However, I think the actual battery SOC is like 50% (empty on that battery graphics - no green lines) to 70% (full on that battery graphics - 5(?) green lines). The car computer keeps the battery SOC always between 50%-70% to stretch out battery lifetime.

There's a thread all about that somewhere on GH. There's a way to charge it more than the "full", but it would never allow discharge to less than "empty".
Occ, Ford engineers said they didn't want the to let the charge percentages out to the public at the Dearborn Event, but I since found the upper and the lower percentages in the manuals and articles.

The HV battery will only charge to 60% max. The lower operating limit is 40%. The FEH/MMH will not start under 30%. The FEH/MMH will not move from a start until 40%. Cold and hot weather reduce these limits. This is one reason Ford can offer up to a 10yr/150,000 mile warranty on the HV battery in green states.

So the highest level you will see on the battery display is 60% and the lowest level will be a 40% charge. The small generator will not charge to 60% because it will leave a percentage for regen braking to fully charge the HV battery.

GaryG

Old 12-18-2006, 08:47 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks Gary I had a feeling it was you who found that out. Just couldnt remember...way too much info on this site (it's great tho). I thought I might have read those percentage on the prius thread? no? Anyways, Im sure Toyota does the same for their batteries.