Battery failure statistics

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery failure statistics

Last edited by SwannyBC; 09-20-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery failure statistics

Originally Posted by SwannyBC
Is Ford or any third party collecting data on failure rates for FEH batteries by age of vehicle?
No, there aren't any. It's not surprising about the Civic Hybrid because the manufacturers are always going to project the selective data they have that makes them look great, but it's well known that the older Civic Hybrid battery system actually has a high failure rate with age due to the design of the system (poor cooling).

It's a 15 year old vehicle and even with the relatively low mileage the battery is old, there's just no way around it. It's probably time to sell it but you should tell the buyer that the mileage isn't great, they're probably going to need a new HV battery soon if they can find one and are prepared to spend the money. I think what you're asking is: "Can a potential buyer look up the statistic?" and the answer is no, you can't give them one, because they don't exist, as far as I know.

This is not to say Ford doesn't have some numbers on the batteries it's replaced. But the cars are all out of warranty now, and I don't think it would behoove them to keep tracking that information or release it publicly. If anyone knows better, tell me I'm all wet.

They don't last forever, they're NiMH batteries.

Last edited by AlexK; 09-18-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexK
It's probably time to sell it but you should tell the buyer that the mileage isn't great, they're probably going to need a new HV battery soon if they can find one and are prepared to spend the money.
If I tell every potential buyer that they need to spend $4000-$10000 on a new HV battery soon, then I might as well dump this car off at a salvage yard because no one is going to buy it. My ethical obligation is to be honest about the present mechanical condition of the car and not play with the odometer or fuel economy display. The average lifetime fuel economy is now 8.5l/100km and that’s what the buyer will see. As far as the battery, all I know is that the average fuel economy seems to have deteriorated a little over 5% and I am concerned this is due to the HV battery. But I have no proof of this. The HV battery has never been diagnosed as close to dying by Ford. And it’s not like the battery has a display like the one on my laptop that shows how much life the battery has left.The mechanic at the dealership also told me that the hydraulic control module often goes on Ford Escape hybrids around this age. He didn’t say mine was going but he did say it would be a $5000 bill if it did. And no, I’m not mentioning that to prospective buyers either.
Sellers are expected to be honest about the current mechanical condition of their vehicles, but buyers are expected to do their own due diligence when deciding whether the price of a vehicle is worth the potential risks in buying a certain brand or year of car. Buying a 14 year old hybrid is always a risk, but it’s not up to me to advertise that.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

Opposed to failure, how about real world experiences? I had a new 2005 Escape Hybrid 4WD until November 2019 when I had to "dump" it due to excess rust and inability to pass the state inspection. My vehicle ran but....starting in late 2018 it began showing signs of losing charge-dropping into the low 30 percent range- while sitting unused for a couple of days. By spring of 2019, it would drop below 20% SOC if it sat unused for three days. Later in 2019 it would be even lower. Signs of aging battery cells. This was not due to excess heat as the 2005-2009 Escape Hybrid had air-conditioning lines to the hybrid battery pack something that was eliminated with the 2010 model and exists in the discontinued CMAX Energi hybrid. I had just a few hundred miles short of 200,000 on the vehicle. The battery pack would charge up to the normal range once started but while it was "low", it operated sluggish.