Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Have you tried these resources?

http://www.1-auto-car-loans.com/ford...-relations.htm

Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Look jzking, copy my post and take it to these yahoo's so they are warned before getting a media response. Send it certified mail to Customer Service. I got my information from Ford's manuals and understand them. Tell them to call Ford's Hotline the Techs use for their final answer on warranty coverage of the sealed Hybrid HV battery because they are going to need that to protect their actions. Make sure they get a copy of the section of the '05 FEH Workshop Manual I quoted.

Gary Gattis

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

So I called customer service again today and spoke with Kurt. He gave me the same spiel but I asked to speak to a Supervisor. Mike Sing took all of my information and said he needed to contact some people and get back with me tommorrow. I REALLY hope he isn't just planning on calling the dealership. The dealer even put notes in my account saying I was trying to get them to use the wrong PN !!!!! I was just trying to get them to repair the assembly that's under warranty. I am extremely upset at this point and feel like I'm running out of options. Here is a letter I plan on sending to Mark's manager if he gives me bad news:

"Dear Customer Service Manager:
On 04-18-11 I took my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, VIN# , to Camel back Ford in Phoenix, AZ, to diagnose an illuminated dash board indicator. According to their analysis, a battery cooling fan, PN 5m6z10c659a, is faulty and needs to be replaced. They also stated that a component external to the battery pack called the A/C door actuator, PN , needed to be replaced as well. The total cost is approx. $1,100.
They informed me that both PN’s were not covered under the 100,000 mi/8 year warranty that provides coverage for hybrid specific components. I informed them that I believe the fan was covered since it is inside of the battery pack assembly. They claimed that the fan was not inside of the battery pack. My research indicates that the fan is inside of the battery pack and that the entire battery pack falls under the 100,000 mile warranty. I talked to Chad McDonald, the parts manager at Camelback Ford, and the final word was that the fan does not show as a warranty part and therefore will not be replaced under warranty.
I then called Ford Customer Service and spoke with a man named Kurt. He confirmed what the dealer had said. I then called Customer Service a second time and spoke with a man named Jesse. I asked Jesse to check on the warranty coverage for the battery pack assembly, PN 10B759. He confirmed that it is under warranty. I explained to him that the fan is inside of that assembly and since the assembly is under warranty then the fan is covered by implication. The assembly is bad and needs to be repaired or replaced. He defaulted to the answer given by the Ford dealership and said there was nothing he could do.
I am including an internet forum thread showing that other people have had the same issue and the end result is the fan gets replaced under warranty. Please look over the materials which include pictures of the assembly and PN’s. Someone also suggested you contact the technical hotline used by the technicians to confirm the information.
This situation is completely unacceptable. I am driving around with a bad battery pack assembly that is covered under the 100,000 mile / 8 year hybrid warranty! I demand that this assembly be repaired or replaced per the warranty agreement. If the assembly is not repaired or replaced I will use means such as the news media and/or litigation to inform as many people as possible and to enforce a warranty that Ford is refusing to stand behind. Furthermore, you can be assured that I will NEVER purchase a Ford product and will expend considerable effort to ensure others don’t either. "

If anyone thinks there is anything I should ad, please let me know. Also, it seems like you have to know the right people to get this resolved. I don't. Can someone please PM me with information or at least forward my information to someone who may be able to help?

Thank you

Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM

I've said all there is to say on this subject and am ready to take Ford to the mat on it. Let me know how they want to play.

Gary Gattis

Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

We recently had this issue with our 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. The dealer said it wasn't covered, but, because of this thread, I called Ford. The first customer service rep I talked to said no, but I asked for a supervisor. I was sent to someone named Mike. I told him about this thread and said persistent people had gotten it covered so I was being persistent. He had to work on it and got back to me about a week later, but Ford covered it. Our case number was 1461231671 if that helps anyone else.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TNHybrid
We recently had this issue with our 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. The dealer said it wasn't covered, but, because of this thread, I called Ford. The first customer service rep I talked to said no, but I asked for a supervisor. I was sent to someone named Mike. I told him about this thread and said persistent people had gotten it covered so I was being persistent. He had to work on it and got back to me about a week later, but Ford covered it. Our case number was 1461231671 if that helps anyone else.
Thanks for your reply and follow-up.

Gary Gattis

Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

I wanted to first thank everyone for posting all the information here. I do not think I would have been able to fight Ford on this problem without all your help.

Unfortunately it seems Ford is still not up to speed with this issue. We took our 2007 FEH to star ford in Glendale, Ca yesterday and we were told the cooling fans were malfunctioning, they were not covered under any warranty and would cost ~$850 to replace.

Thanks to this thread, we have contacted ford customer service. Our first reply (from Mark) was basically that the repair is not covered but that ford would put $450 towards the cost. Well thats nice but why the #%*! would ford give me $450 if the repair is not covered? He said "as valuable ford customers . . ." So we would go away quietly? Very strange if you ask me.

I said thanks very much but I really think this should be covered under warranty. I mentioned this thread and told him all about the other cases where ford covered this, and the fine information posted here - especially from TNHybrid and his case number (post # 65) and GaryG with his FEH Workshop Manuals. We should hear back tomorrow and I will follow up upon the resolution of this ordeal.

Last edited by dr_eric_j; 07-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dr_eric_j
I wanted to first thank everyone for posting all the information here. I do not think I would have been able to fight Ford on this problem without all your help.

Unfortunately it seems Ford is still not up to speed with this issue. We took our 2007 FEH to star ford in Glendale, Ca yesterday and we were told the cooling fans were malfunctioning, they were not covered under any warranty and would cost ~$850 to replace.

Thanks to this thread, we have contacted ford customer service. Our first reply (from Mark) was basically that the repair is not covered but that ford would put $450 towards the cost. Well thats nice but why the #%*! would ford give me $450 if the repair is not covered? He said "as valuable ford customers . . ." So we would go away quietly? Very strange if you ask me.

I said thanks very much but I really think this should be covered under warranty. I mentioned this thread and told him all about the other cases where ford covered this, and the fine information posted here - especially from TNHybrid and his case number (post # 65) and GaryG with his FEH Workshop Manuals. We should hear back tomorrow and I will follow up upon the resolution of this ordeal.
Don't settle for anything but complete warranty coverage!

Gary Gattis

Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Just wanted to update everyone here on my situation. We did hear back from
Ford today and they will be covering the repair 100% under the unique hybrid
components warranty.

It is very unfortunate that this problem was not automatically taken care of
by the Ford dealer, and the whole situation has been a huge hassle. But I
have to say the Ford customer service people have been very nice, responsive,
and helpful - only with a bit of persistence.

I feel the big problem is that the dealers are not educated about this issue
and when they punch in the part number for the cooling fans they get no
warranty coverage. Apparently the battery assembly was originally listed as
a single part, but that got changed in 2009 (according to Mark at Ford
customer service). So it seems the parts inside the battery fell through the
cracks and need to be updated in the Ford database or whatever. Hopefully
this will get taken care of so others don't have to deal with the same mess.

Here is our case # if it might help someone else: 1653931871

The bottom line: Be persistent and Ford should and WILL cover this 100%

Cheers,

Eric

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by dr_eric_j
Just wanted to update everyone here on my situation. We did hear back from
Ford today and they will be covering the repair 100% under the unique hybrid
components warranty.

It is very unfortunate that this problem was not automatically taken care of
by the Ford dealer, and the whole situation has been a huge hassle. But I
have to say the Ford customer service people have been very nice, responsive,
and helpful - only with a bit of persistence.

I feel the big problem is that the dealers are not educated about this issue
and when they punch in the part number for the cooling fans they get no
warranty coverage. Apparently the battery assembly was originally listed as
a single part, but that got changed in 2009 (according to Mark at Ford
customer service). So it seems the parts inside the battery fell through the
cracks and need to be updated in the Ford database or whatever. Hopefully
this will get taken care of so others don't have to deal with the same mess.

Here is our case # if it might help someone else: 1653931871

The bottom line: Be persistent and Ford should and WILL cover this 100%

Cheers,

Eric
Good work Eric!

GaryG

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands