Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Originally Posted by wptski
Is a dealer required to follow exactly what the service manual states? I can name several instances where they don't and at least one TSB that some dealers haven't followed. Another TSB which was superceded twice which still didn't cure the problem, so Ford started to call it "normal" operation. A later change seemed to have cured the problem.

You have (again) totally missed the point. The multiple references in the service manual that the cooling fans are part of the HVTB make it extremely difficult for Ford to claim they are not.

Ford can always change service procedures. In fact they are doing that now....they have gone form advising their techs to replace the HVTB when the cooling fans fail to now just replacing the fans themselves. I'm certainly not demanding a new HVTB per the manual, repairing the failed components under warranty is fine.

Alaska: thank you for the offer of assistance, I'll let you know.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
You have (again) totally missed the point. The multiple references in the service manual that the cooling fans are part of the HVTB make it extremely difficult for Ford to claim they are not.

Ford can always change service procedures. In fact they are doing that now....they have gone form advising their techs to replace the HVTB when the cooling fans fail to now just replacing the fans themselves. I'm certainly not demanding a new HVTB per the manual, repairing the failed components under warranty is fine.

Alaska: thank you for the offer of assistance, I'll let you know.
You have (again) totally missed my point. The service manual isn't the gospel truth nor do they follow it. I guess that you've never been handed your keys back stating that they can't reproduce a problem, come back when it does it all the time although intermittent problems are clearly mention in the manual. When you almost get T-boned, one doesn't want to hear this, so I filed with NHTSA.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hi. I have posted my lengthy battle to get my '07 FEH under "Ford Dealer refusing to Honor 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on HV battery"
Same story. Any feedback would be helpful. Thx Dave. (In Baton Rouge, LA)

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You have (again) totally missed my point. The service manual isn't the gospel truth nor do they follow it. I guess that you've never been handed your keys back stating that they can't reproduce a problem, come back when it does it all the time although intermittent problems are clearly mention in the manual. When you almost get T-boned, one doesn't want to hear this, so I filed with NHTSA.

Just go on thinking whatever you want. I tried, I'm done.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Just go on thinking whatever you want. I tried, I'm done.
I followed your other thread and it appears that the key is to get a dealer to follow the manual. In your case, you have a DTC. There are chapters of procedures with a No DTCs heading. In this case, they ignore these sections.

I see that you have gotten your vehicle covered and are try to get to coverage problem fixed for everyone else in the future. I commend you on that!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

I followed your other thread and it appears that the key is to get a dealer to follow the manual. In your case, you have a DTC. There are chapters of procedures with a No DTCs heading. In this case, they ignore these sections.

I see that you have gotten your vehicle covered and are try to get to coverage problem fixed for everyone else in the future. I commend you on that!
Bill, you're making a fool of yourself!

GaryG

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Bill, you're making a fool of yourself!

GaryG
Not sure why anyone can't understand the simple fact that dealer's don't always follow what's clearly outlined in the manuals. This thread clearly proves what I'm saying about dealers.

This is a forum of Ford Hybrid owners where ignoring manufacture's suggestions is very common and that's another fact.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Not sure why anyone can't understand the simple fact that dealer's don't always follow what's clearly outlined in the manuals. This thread clearly proves what I'm saying about dealers.

This is a forum of Ford Hybrid owners where ignoring manufacture's suggestions is very common and that's another fact.
We all here understand the dealers and Ford are not following the manuals and replacing the expensive HV battery when the internal fans fail like the manual calls for. That's not a problem, the problem is Ford is giving us a hard time warrantying the internal fans which is part of the battery pack. Ford can't change the warranty of the pack by making us pay for changing the fans which are a part of the pack which is covered. My guess is Sanyo will not warranty the cells in the pack if the battery pack seal has been broken to replace the fans or the internal wiring harness.

This is a very simple issue to understand and you're the only one here that doesn't understand the issue. Most of us are making Ford stand by their warranty and pay for the fans.

GaryG

Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
We all here understand the dealers and Ford are not following the manuals and replacing the expensive HV battery when the internal fans fail like the manual calls for. That's not a problem, the problem is Ford is giving us a hard time warrantying the internal fans which is part of the battery pack. Ford can't change the warranty of the pack by making us pay for changing the fans which are a part of the pack which is covered. My guess is Sanyo will not warranty the cells in the pack if the battery pack seal has been broken to replace the fans or the internal wiring harness.

This is a very simple issue to understand and you're the only one here that doesn't understand the issue. Most of us are making Ford stand by their warranty and pay for the fans.

GaryG
Okay, lets back up. Correcting if I'm wrong. You have a DTC which the manual states to replace the battery pack? Are they entering the part number for the entire battery pack as the manual states to do? As I understand, they aren't but entering the part number for the fan, correct?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Okay, lets back up. Correcting if I'm wrong. You have a DTC which the manual states to replace the battery pack? Are they entering the part number for the entire battery pack as the manual states to do? As I understand, they aren't but entering the part number for the fan, correct?
Correct, if the DTC ends up being fan 1 or 2, the manual states install a new HV battery. Some owners have stated if they enter the HV battery pack part number, the computer list all the parts within the pack as covered, including the fans. Entering just the fans part number kit, does not state the fans are covered.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands