Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

The Ford 2007 Workshop Manual very clearly describes the cooling fans as "part of the HVTB". Hard to believe that they can dispute this in anyway.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM

You should not pay to have it fixed. It is a covered part. Period.

I agree with the approach of going to the local BBB and the local news media or an attorney.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes, it's cold
Default Need help gathering information for court

I am looking at the strong possibility of taking this warranty issue to small claims court. I am asking that anyone who has information that I can use to present my case to please let me know. Information may include:
  • Ford case numbers for people who got their cooling fans (or entire battery because of the failed cooling fans). I have already seen the two case numbers in this forum, plus the one PDF receipt that was posted.
  • PDF of actual paperworking showing that they got the warranty work done.
  • PDF (or electronic copy) of the official Ford service manual pages that specifically show that if the fans stop working that the battery must be replaced. Or anything in the manual that would help me prove my case.
  • Anything else you can think of that might be of help.
If you are willing to send me a PDF (or however you can do it) of the shop manual, please include a copy of the front of the manual or something that shows that the manual is for a 2007 Escape Hybrid. If I provide the judge with information for other years or models, then he/she will have no proof that that information applies to my 2007.

I'm looking at small claims court instead of the media (at least for now) because I would like to get a definitive decision and not drag this out for who knows how long. Plus, if the decision is in my favor and that helps others down the road with this same problem, then all the better. I'm working now on trying to figure out who the claim needs to be against, the dealership or Ford Motor Company. I'm thinking Ford.

I had to pay for the work already. My wife needed the vehicle to commute to work, plus the loaner vehicle from the dealership doesn't have winter tiress that are adequate (safe) for Alaskan weather/roads. And we're supposed to get up to a foot of snow today.

Thank you Gary and all for your help so far. If you are willing to take the time to help out with the above items, I would greatly appreciate it.

You can send these to me by PM (not sure if can do that) or PM me and I will give you my email address.

Thanks!
Scott

Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Scott, have you got a dealer invoice (see post #77) that shows the fault codes and the estimate for getting the cooling fans replaced? Even with the dealer denying that the fans are covered by the warranty, you will want an estimate of parts and labor to show your damages.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes, it's cold

I do. I received an estimate from the dealer (pdf via email to me) for the fans and some other work (plugs, coil). My wife picked up the vehicle yesterday and I'd asked the dealership to make sure the codes were on the invoice and they said that they were. I'll double check tonight. The dealership told me over the phone early on that the codes that were set were PO300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire detected), PO301 (cylinder 1 misfire), PO316 (misfire detected on startup, first 1,000 revolutions), and the all-important POA81 (Battery Pack Cooling Fan).

I see that in a previous post you have or have access to the 2007 shop manual. Is there anything you can send me from that? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Scott, I have the '05 and '09 complete book sets, but not the '07 FEH. I can tell you the language is the same in both my sets. The number 1 fan DTC is POA81 and number 2 fan is DTC POA96. After the pin point test is done and you still get these codes, both the '05 and '09 Manuals say replace the HV Battery.

There are 2 volumes (1 & 2) of the Workshop manuals for the '07. The HV Battery section 414-3 under Hybrid Battery Pack Over-Temperature is where you find this information. Look on Ebay for the Ford Escape Hybrid for a cheap purchase of those books like I did. You can always use these manuals until you sell your '07 FEH.

GaryG

Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Scott, I have the '05 and '09 complete book sets, but not the '07 FEH. I can tell you the language is the same in both my sets. The number 1 fan DTC is POA81 and number 2 fan is DTC POA96. After the pin point test is done and you still get these codes, both the '05 and '09 Manuals say replace the HV Battery.

There are 2 volumes (1 & 2) of the Workshop manuals for the '07. The HV Battery section 414-3 under Hybrid Battery Pack Over-Temperature is where you find this information. Look on Ebay for the Ford Escape Hybrid for a cheap purchase of those books like I did. You can always use these manuals until you sell your '07 FEH.

GaryG
I have the 2007 manuals and will scan those pages and email to Scott.

Scott: PM me your email.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
I have the 2007 manuals and will scan those pages and email to Scott.

Scott: PM me your email.
Thanks Don, you've always been a helpful member here!

GaryG

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Imported from Detroit

I doubt if not following any procedure in a Ford Workshop Manual can be used for warranty coverage claim. Just try to get them to look at a intermittent problem(s) which are clearly mentioned in the manuals. If they can't reproduce the problem and it has no DTC, they'll just return the vehicle to you.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes, it's cold

Don,
PM sent. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands