averages

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default averages

One of my grudges against Ford is the fact that it seems impossible to find out (yes, I know that a few of you are sure you already know) what the "average" means on the average fuel economy display on the nav console. Ford has told me that it is a rolling average of the last 1000 data points, but hasn't revealed what those data points are (miles, tenths of a gallon, centuries???). Anyway, yesterday I had the chance to glide down a long hill without touching the pedal that we call the accelerator, and observed the following: the average display went from 29.4 mpg to 30.5 in eight miles that took 12 minutes, while the gallonsperhour on the ScanGauge was reading 0.3-0.4 gph. From this information I infer that the average involves something like 140 miles and a shade less than 5 gallons, though I have no clue to whether they collect mileage and gas data simultaneously or independently.

If they are really counting 1000 data points, as they claim, they may be collecting tenths of a mile and perhaps better than hundredths of a gallon (and I still wonder why they won't reveal the facts). Anyway, FWIW, this suggests that the averaging is over a much shorter span than I had been led to believe.

It sure would be nice to know the facts, if any of you have any inside information.

Hal