Any DIY Oil Change "Gottchas" I should know about?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any DIY Oil Change "Gottchas" I should know about?

Got it done, and it was pretty painless. Not enough room to torque the drain plug, so just did that by feel. The filter housing torqued easily to the 24 ft/lbs spec. I have to agree that it's somewhat pointless to drain the filter housing because even though I did, quite a bit of oil was still in the filter/housing. Next time I won't bother with that. So I'm good for another 12 months now.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

i wasn't so luckyi bought my 2005 feh in august this was first attemp at an oil change doing the filter was a piece of cake but the drain plug was a differant story the ford garage where the other owner was going changed the oil last they must have cranked the plug on to tight i have just aboughtrounded the head so i a'm going to have to use a dull chisel and hammer to remove it hyope it loosens it up enough to get a pair of vise grips on it to take it off the rest of the way!. guys wish me luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cowboy
i wasn't so luckyi bought my 2005 feh in august this was first attemp at an oil change doing the filter was a piece of cake but the drain plug was a differant story the ford garage where the other owner was going changed the oil last they must have cranked the plug on to tight i have just aboughtrounded the head so i a'm going to have to use a dull chisel and hammer to remove it hyope it loosens it up enough to get a pair of vise grips on it to take it off the rest of the way!. guys wish me luck.
Might be a good time to add that Fumoto valve.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cowboy
This gives me real mixed feelings. On one hand I'm really sorry for you. On the other, I'm glad I'm not the only shade tree mechanic to do this.