Another Radio Question (iPod, etc..)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 PM
dsd
Enthusiast
Default Another Radio Question (iPod, etc..)

I have read the FAQ and searched the archives and still have questions so here goes...

My wife just bought a 2007 FEH with NAV. and CDDJ. It appears to be the Visteon: http://www.visteon.com/products/auto...navradio.shtml

Anyway, I am familiar with the PIE devices (I have a Dension Ice/Link in my car) that replace the CD Changer and really want to avoid this option. I am interested in the Harman/Kardon Drive and Play using wired fm modulation.

I understand the electronics on this car are a bit strande, my question is are there any issues installing this type of system? What does it do to my factory warranty? How hard is this install, can any shop do it or am I better off using a high end installer?

Thanks,
dsd
07 FEH
04 Maserati CC
99 Nissan Altima

Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Another Radio Question (iPod, etc..)

You might want to search the hybrid_ford_escape Yahoo group. There are a couple folks on there with '05 and '06 Ford Escape Hybrids and the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play integration you refer to. If you can't locate their posts (Yahoo groups' search is pretty poor) you can crosspost your message from here over there and get a reply.

PS: NAV system in the '07 is identical to the one in the '06 and '05s.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 AM

I'm not familiar with the HK unit, but that is irrelevant to the question. I have an '06 Mariner with the Hybrid/Nav system. Since Ford was kind enough NOT to make it MP3 or Satellite ready (despite claims that it was) I needed to use an aftermarket Sirius radio and adaptor. I found that the onboard FM modulator was subject to static, interference, and FM modulators in other vehicles (that happened way more than I ever would have thought). I opted to go with the wired FM modulator instead (I already had it from my old car). The install couldn't be easier and isn't worth paying anyone to do. The undersides/insides of the dash are remarkably open and easy to access. All you will need is the radio pullers that are like $6 at Pep Boys. The radio pulls straight out, you unplug the antenna cable, plug it into the FM modulator, plug the modulator into the radio, stuff the wires into the dash, pull the mini plug out the bottom of the dash and connect it to your HK Drive and Play. It should have no impact on a warranty, and if there was ever a concern you can just unplug it and pull it out.

As for powering the Drive and Play unit itself, I'm not sure what your plans are. You can either use the 12V adapter in the lighter or hardwire it. Hardwiring it is not hard either if you are handy with a screwdriver and don't mind spending $5 on a fuse tap and an inline fuse holder.

The quality of the wired modulator is much better, though not as good as a direct audio connection. You shouldn't see any interference with the hardwired version as the box "switches off" the feed from the car's normal antenna. Unfortunately, I don't think that the Nav radio offers the possibility of a direct connection so we have to make do with what we can short of removing the CD changer.

Last edited by Tim K; 06-12-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just installed the PIE FRDW and X3 on my CD changer, works perfect. FRDW is the Y connector, the X3 gives me 3 inputs and a switch box. I installed the switch box on the center console lid, on the space between the hinge and the CD changer magazine storage place (I think that's what it is...). The switch box fits right there and is the same color as the plastic, looks like a factory install. It allows me to change from CD changer and any of the 3 inputs. I had previously one of the fm modulators that connect to the antenna, but the sound was awful and I got all sort of radio interference... Much nicer now (still no interference free, but much better). I suspect that the guys that did the DVD install got the power from the wrong place and that's why I'm still getting noises... (windows up/down, charging the breaks... etc) I will post pictures as soon as I have time to take them.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
dsd
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who responded. I picked up a simple Wired FM Modulator with RCA connectors and ran that.

Powered from the 12v lighter dangled rca into glovebox.

It is not perfect but is what I wanted-- good enough quality for an ipod in a car, an aux port so anything can connect (RCA Audio), no drilling to maintain factory finish.

I probably overpaid at $55 for everything but I was able to pickup all parts at the store. My wife will be pleased :-)

Thanks all,
dsd

Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

jsalva11,

That thing you refer to as the disk magazine storage is actually where you put a box of tissues made for use in the car.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM

He he.....It took me a week to figure out that little scoop over by the fog lamp switch is for quarters for tolls/meters

Old 06-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by elwood58
jsalva11,

That thing you refer to as the disk magazine storage is actually where you put a box of tissues made for use in the car.
It's where I put a small (5.5" by 3.5") Mead 400 page notepad which is labelled Mileage Log -- Escape Hybrid.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Another Radio Question (iPod, etc..)

Originally Posted by elwood58
jsalva11,

ok, so does anyone know exactly what size box of tissues is made for this spot??

thanks

nancy

Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
dsd
Enthusiast

I think kleenex juniors fit. It is a common size box for tissues

-dsd

Quick Reply: Another Radio Question (iPod, etc..)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands