Aha (or duh) moment during warmup period in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aha (or duh) moment during warmup period in cold weather

Had one more discovery today via the help of the Scanguage....

They really must have tweaked the software on the '08's because there are a few things I've notice that is contrary to some of the "rules" on the earlier models.

Today I was able to get it to drop into EV from ICE-on with CHT's of 211, 213, and 216. This is different than the minimum 224 degree CHT rule that others have discovered on the 05-07's.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've consistently been able to hold EV with the AMP draw popping into the low 60's occasionally, but keeping it in the 50's somewhat consistently is definitely doable. This is also different than the 40's to 50% max draw that others have noted.

SOC rules don't seem to have changed. 40% automatically kicks in the ICE, and it tends to like the mid to hi 50's at the top end of ICE charging.

And these numbers are with air temp in the 20's today.

Can anyone else confirm seeing these kind of numbers on their 08's or am I just getting some anomalies here somehow?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesterakl
Had one more discovery today via the help of the Scanguage....

Today I was able to get it to drop into EV from ICE-on with CHT's of 211, 213, and 216. This is different than the minimum 224 degree CHT rule that others have discovered on the 05-07's.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've consistently been able to hold EV with the AMP draw popping into the low 60's occasionally, but keeping it in the 50's somewhat consistently is definitely doable. This is also different than the 40's to 50% max draw that others have noted.

Can anyone else confirm seeing these kind of numbers on their 08's or am I just getting some anomalies here somehow?

I hit 62 amps on an uphill today before low SOC occurred and the ICE came on. Yes I was traveling under 10mph with no traffic on a rural road. Temperature has been under 20 degrees today. I have been able to hold around 50 amps prior to the ICE firing up.

From a cold start (with the engine block heater plugged in) I have been able to go EV with CHT at 188 and FwT at 154.

I have a 2005 AWD Hybrid.

Thanks for John (GPSman1) for creating AMP value for the scanguage users.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesterakl
Had one more discovery today via the help of the Scanguage....Can anyone else confirm seeing these kind of numbers on their 08's or am I just getting some anomalies here somehow?
Yes, almost identically. Just this evening, went to fillup our 08 FEH AWD, temp was 22F. I was really monitoring AMP (Thanks John, GPSMAN1, this is REALLY helpful), to closely monitor current draw in EV mode on SGII-Xgauge, Ver 3.15. I've been wanting to do this for several days, but wife drives the car. Ugh!

I can't remember the exact number on CHT, but I was still in EV mode one time that I remember CHT being 208, and fWT was still way above the 125 cutoff threshold, and SoC was above 40%.

I saw 60 something AMP one time for a split second just before the ICE kicked back on. I was able to run EV with AMP in the 50+ range consistently this evening. With the radiator blocked with cardboard (yes, a beta test), fWT dropping below 125F was not killing EV. SoC dropping below 40% was the culprit. (Blocking radiator helps fWT and CHT). Kudos!

No way around that guy - When SoC hits 39.9%, the ICE kicks on, period. Sometimes, in this cold weather, I get within 100 feet of my garage in EV mode the last mile in hilly terain, and can't quite make it in without the ICE starting. I wish I had a 39.5% charge button to let me go that Extra 100 ft . Another winter penalty - Headlights on can make the 100ft difference easily... Come on Spring.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
I hit 62 amps on an uphill today before low SOC occurred and the ICE came on. Yes I was traveling under 10mph with no traffic on a rural road. Temperature has been under 20 degrees today. I have been able to hold around 50 amps prior to the ICE firing up.

From a cold start (with the engine block heater plugged in) I have been able to go EV with CHT at 188 and FwT at 154.

I have a 2005 AWD Hybrid.

Thanks for John (GPSman1) for creating AMP value for the scanguage users.
Did I miss something? Did GPSman1 provide a different AMP xgauge than what DesertDog did? https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...auge-ii-16372/ I can't find it, where is it posted?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Did I miss something? Did GPSman1 provide a different AMP xgauge than what DesertDog did? https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...auge-ii-16372/ I can't find it, where is it posted?
I copied and pasted this from a post somewhere on this site, so credit goes to someone else: It works perfectly on my 08 FEH AWD. Good Luck.

Try this one:
Current from TCM:
TXD: 07E122496E
RXF: 04628549066E
RXD: 3010
MTH: 027102000000
NAM: AMP

You need to watch AMP and not exceed about 50 amps to stay in EV.
I say about, because in warm weather you can exceed 50 amps in EV, but in cold, you may only get about 40 amps.
I can't give an exact value on this, but it's a good guide to start with.

Note: You get small positive numbers from 0 to ~75 amps when drawing power out... you get large postive numbers when putting amps in.

Amps in = 1445 - value on display. If you get 1400 on the display, you are putting 45 amps in. This is due to the fact that the raw data is in hexidecimal 2's complement format, and the math conversion does not do negative numbers easily.

Just remember a small number = actual value out ( discharge )
A large number is 1445 - xxxx = actual value in ( charge )

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
I copied and pasted this from a post somewhere on this site, so credit goes to someone else: It works perfectly on my 08 FEH AWD. Good Luck.

Try this one:
Current from TCM:
TXD: 07E122496E
RXF: 04628549066E
RXD: 3010
MTH: 027102000000
NAM: AMP

You need to watch AMP and not exceed about 50 amps to stay in EV.
I say about, because in warm weather you can exceed 50 amps in EV, but in cold, you may only get about 40 amps.
I can't give an exact value on this, but it's a good guide to start with.

Note: You get small positive numbers from 0 to ~75 amps when drawing power out... you get large postive numbers when putting amps in.

Amps in = 1445 - value on display. If you get 1400 on the display, you are putting 45 amps in. This is due to the fact that the raw data is in hexidecimal 2's complement format, and the math conversion does not do negative numbers easily.

Just remember a small number = actual value out ( discharge )
A large number is 1445 - xxxx = actual value in ( charge )
Yes, that's what I posted earlier in the powerflow thread. GPSman1 regurgitated it a couple of weeks later. Still no solution for the 2's complement math, but Ron and I have discussed several possible solutions. He is busy working on the 3.16 software rev so that SoC and the other battery PIDs can be read, so it's not high on his priority list right now. Ron indicated that if you have a 3.15* SG, he will re-load the 3.16 for free when it is finalized.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Yes, that's what I posted earlier in the powerflow thread. .... He is busy working on the 3.16 software rev so that SoC and the other battery PIDs can be read, so it's not high on his priority list right now. Ron indicated that if you have a 3.15* SG, he will re-load the 3.16 for free when it is finalized.
Thanks Carl. Sorry I couldn't quote you instantly on the source, but knowing you have worked closely with Ron, I would have been safe assuming.

I have also emailed Ron Begging him to try and find a solution to the HV Battery Temp PID for the 08 FEH AWD. Luckily, SoC reads OK. Interesting how some work on some models, and others don't. Enjoy reading ALL the info on SGII-Xgauge and associated communication descriptions that you have provided... Cheers and Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
Thanks Carl. Sorry I couldn't quote you instantly on the source, but knowing you have worked closely with Ron, I would have been safe assuming.

I have also emailed Ron Begging him to try and find a solution to the HV Battery Temp PID for the 08 FEH AWD. Luckily, SoC reads OK. Interesting how some work on some models, and others don't. Enjoy reading ALL the info on SGII-Xgauge and associated communication descriptions that you have provided... Cheers and Thanks again.
The Tav xgauge doesn't work for you? That is the average of all the individual battery module sensors and is what determines most of the HV battery temp-related decisions. The Battery Air temp is less important and I don't think is used except for deciding where to get the cooling air from.
I don't think Ron will have a solution for the Battery Air Temp as it seems to be either changed or discontinued in the 08s.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

CHT is certainly one parameter that needs to be met to enter EV mode.
The thresholds for this change with the weather.

I'm not sure what the car uses to determine outside air temp, but intake air temp may be the culpret.

I have my radiator blocked for winter. Now I get intake air temp that is regularly about 20 degrees warmer than ambient. Without the block, I recall the intake air was only a few degress above ambient when moving. ( the IA always warms up from engine heat when you are standing still )

When intake air is about 20'F or colder, I always needed CHT to be 224 to allow EV. Then EV would continue to 201 CHT when the engine would always kick back on.

Now, when outside is 15'F, I sometimes have intake air of ~35'F and the car allowes EV at CHT's that are much lower.

On warm days, I've had engine kick off at high 100's and continue down to at least 167 CHT.

With intake air colder than 20, no EV with CHT less than 201'F.

These rules seem very complicated.
It may boil down to something like:
If weather is less than 20'F, the car monitors CHT.
If weather is more than 20'F, the car only monitors water temp.

I can only tell you what I see!
Cheers.
-John