Advice needed on towing w/ FEH

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Advice needed on towing w/ FEH

I know this has been discussed before, but I need one on one advice.

I have an 08 FEH. Wife and I are avid Scuba divers and have a 4X6 enclosed trailer, that we tow our 8 tanks and gear with. I also drive it on my 103 mile Roundtrip commute to work. Love it as I replaced my Crown Vic with the Escape

We also have 01 Expedition. which gets about 16MPG on she drives it to work 40 miles roundtrip. We also use it to tow the trailer. This is all that we tow.

i am curious if the 1,000lb limit is tongue weight or gross weight. Would it be okay to tow the single axle trailer with the Escape? I estimate the Tanks are about 320lbs and other gear weight is about 250.

My plan if I can, is trade the Expedition in for a Ford Focus. Right now, with my economic standpoint, we would be trying to make the focus payments work, but there would be an additional 150/mo in the bdget from fuel savings.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Advice needed on towing w/ FEH

The FEH owner's manual states that the 1000lb limit is "trailer weight".

It also says that "You must distribute the load in your trailer so that 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer is on the tongue."

There's more trailer towing information in the owner's manual that you might find useful.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Feral Engineer

The above response is correct. You should have no problem with this trailer.

The only real issues are towing a heavy trailer up a very long grade or backing a heavy trailer that requires force which exceeds the electric power available in reverse gear.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Here are some photos of an Escape Hybrid with a 1000lb wood pellet load.
Rear View:
ESCAPEWITHPELLETLOADREARVEIWWITHTEX.jpg?t=1218394530

Side View:
2007-07-28JULY2807WOODPELLETSINE-1.jpg?t=1218394580

Side View prior to loading:
2007-07-28JULY2807WOODPELLETSINESCA.jpg?t=1218394611

I have hauled this weight with myself and another passenger (driver and passenger weight = approximately 360 lbs) for several miles this past May. I made it up an 8%, 1/2 mile long hill without trouble. I realize this thread is referring to a 4 by 6 enclosed trailer which should "tuck in" nicely behind the Escape's shape to minimize aerodynamic drag. That would be my only fear, if the trailer presents a higher and or wider profile than the Escape and creates additional wind drag the vehicle has to overcome.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for you responses. I guess this seals the fact that the Expedition gets traded. My wife still has mixed feelings of giving up the beast. I keep telling her I don't miss my CrownVic not one bit after getting Kermit.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

Tagging onto Snoopyto's thread- I put in a Hidden Hitch from etrailer over the weekend and it was relatively painless. I've yet to haul anything yet but will next week.

The one question is regarding the wiring. I used the T-connector from Valley that etrailer sells. It went in fine, but the left turn signal has sped up to about double time.

Is there anything that can be done about that? Also, am I possibly in store for electrical surprises when I hook up an actual trailer with lights?

Hopefully some other '08 owner has already been through this.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MrT
Tagging onto Snoopyto's thread- I put in a Hidden Hitch from etrailer over the weekend and it was relatively painless. I've yet to haul anything yet but will next week.

The one question is regarding the wiring. I used the T-connector from Valley that etrailer sells. It went in fine, but the left turn signal has sped up to about double time.

Is there anything that can be done about that? Also, am I possibly in store for electrical surprises when I hook up an actual trailer with lights?

Hopefully some other '08 owner has already been through this.
I'm in an '06. I put in a Modulator. The modulator hooks to your battery, it puts no load (essentially it READS the value and produces its own voltage with power from the battery for the on the turn signal lights in the trailer). I suspect your problem is a loading problem. The circuit now pulls more current than its rated for.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The blinkers flash fast when there is a burnt out bulb, broken wire, or very LOW load, such as LED lamps. I put in LED lamps ( which take 1% as much power ) a couple years back and get the fast flash.

I too am installing a hitch this week(end?) and wonder about the lamps.
Since I have LED's which use milliwatts, by adding the trailer lamps, I should be just back to normal?

Comments? Concerns? I don't want a fancy or expensive "module" and in my case, it may not be needed!

-John

Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

I have a loaner trailer, so I think I may hook it up and check out the signals before I actually have to hit the road and use it.

Since I maybe do this once a year, I'm thinking about unhooking the trailer wire harnesses and leaving them hanging behind the tail lights. Can you get covers for the harness ends? Otherwise, I might just take the T-harness completely out until next time.