AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default AC Question

When I turn on the air conditioner in our FEH, I always put it in "econ" mode and I also hit the recirculate button. If I turn the air off while driving or if I turn the vehicle off, each time I turn the AC back on I have to hit the recirculate button to activate it again. Why is the recirculate setting being reset each time the air is turned on/off? Is this normal? I've never had to do this in any other vehicle I have owned so I'm not sure if it's specific to the FEH.

Last edited by Sascol; 06-26-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Question

I have noticed the same in my 2008 MMH. I find it very annoying, so I hope that there is a really good reason for this.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jefferson
I have noticed the same in my 2008 MMH. I find it very annoying, so I hope that there is a really good reason for this.
I think its because in that mode there is no connection between the air inside the car and the outside world.... its recurculating. When you park a car you are supposed to have it allow air exchange to the outside so that if its parked long term you don't get musty odors, dampness from windows fogging up on the inside at night when the humid air inside cools....etc. They tell you that in systems where there isn't a button but it is a dial. My guess is that the system pops the door open when you turn the key off for air exchange.

Why not "remember" the last setting and reset it to recirculate when you start the car again? Probably because its cheaper not to.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 AM

With air conditioning you get...

Cool air...

And humidification "limiting".

In the process of living we humans ex-hale a LOT of moisture, we also perpire all the time.

Close the car cabin up via "recirc" with no A/C and the cabin humidity will soon begin to rise. Not so much of a problem on a hot or warm summer day but during a cool or cold day this would make the windshield and windows highly subject to interior fogging as the cabin humidity rises.

You may notice, also, with many new cars if you switch the A/C then with minites the system will automatically switch to FRESH mode.

SAFETY measure....

Safety advisery....

Do not, NEVER, run the system in recirc mode during coolish or cold weather, not even with the A/C enabled.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Of course, there is no reason for Ford to assume that owners are idiots. I have always been inclined to prefer vehicles that allow maximum reasonable control over settings. Since I think that the hybrids are well-designed and offer many benefits, I have set aside those preferences in this vehicle choice. This is one of the controls that they went overboard in taking away the choice from the consumer. It is not a big deal, but this is one of the choices I think they have overdesigned.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jefferson
Of course, there is no reason for Ford to assume that owners are idiots. I have always been inclined to prefer vehicles that allow maximum reasonable control over settings. Since I think that the hybrids are well-designed and offer many benefits, I have set aside those preferences in this vehicle choice. This is one of the controls that they went overboard in taking away the choice from the consumer. It is not a big deal, but this is one of the choices I think they have overdesigned.
Actually... I think the vast majority of drivers would end up complaining to their dealer about their **** $30,000 automobile smelling "musty" and blaming it on being a "crappy" Ford product. You and I might know about it... but most of the users here are NOT representative of the general motoring public that just wants to turn the key and go.... If they weren't told they'd never change the oil. I found out from my fiancee that shes never rotated her tires... ever....

Unfortunately Ford has to design to the vast majority not us. Or they end up getting slammed by the majority for producing crap that doesn't work "properly"... so actually there is every reason for Ford to assume its owners are "idiots."

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Ford Focus also resets the recirculate after you turn of the car...not just a FEH thing....

Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I thought this was a Ford system thing since I think my father's old Explorer used to do this and I am pretty sure my Probe did too.