77 Escape Hybrid in inventory=one dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: 77 Escape Hybrid in inventory=one dealer!

I know for a fact, directly from Ford, that back in 2005 and 2006 that the EXACT SAME FEH was shipped to all 50 states.

There was absolutely nothing different from an emissions standpoint in any car shipped to CA.

The state of CA has tougher standards than the rest of the nation.
Ford sends these super clean cars to all 50 states.

A top engineer at Ford HQ told me it would cost Ford more, to make a different car for different states, vs. make the same car for all 50.

I'm 99.9% sure even with the new 2009's the SAME CAR is sent to all 50 states. Only a code identifier in the VIN# is different so Ford can tell which cars get longer warranties. If you take a Colorado FEH to CA, sadly, you get the shorter warranty, even though it is the same car!

That's it folks.
To be polite, yes, I am positive I am correct.

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-15-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

So, you have nothing but hearsay to back up your "positive" statement. I already know you won't ever admit you are wrong but there have been two sources posted that indicate that you are. Since you have nothing to add to the discussion besides repeating what someone may have told you. I'll ask everyone else...

Does anyone have a vehicle that is listed as anything but SULEV on the emissions sticker under the hood? Or, a better way to ask it - Does anyone in the non-CA emissions states have a vehicle lableled as BIN4?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here's what my non-California 2008 FEH born on 7/23/08 has:

Ford Motor Company
VEHICLE EMISSION
CONTROL INFORMATION
------------------------
Conforms to regulations: MY2008
------------------------
U.S. EPA T2B3 LDT
ODB: CAII Fuel: Gasoline
------------------------
California: SULEV II AT PZEV CA HSC 39039.05
Low Emission Motor Vehicle ODB: CAII Fuel: Gasoline

Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Without CARB in all probability there wouldn't be an FEH/MMH/Tribute, and maybe not even a Prius.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Why? Don't be foolish. It is BEST to have a "California" vehicle.

CA vehicles get a 10 year, 150,000 mile battery warranty. ND residents get a 8 year, 100,000 miles battery warranty.

And Steve is correct. Ever since the first FEH rolled off the line, it has been a "50 state" vehicle. However, when I talked to Ford, vehicles shipped to CA have an identifier in the VIN#. That's it. A California ( and 7 other states ) vehicle gets the longer warranty.

I bought mine in CA but live in CO. I have a CA VIN#.
However, to get warranty work at 150,000 miles, it needs to be in a green state at the time the warranty work is requested. Still, a good selling point. I'd never sell my baby, but if I have a battery failure past 100,000 miles, I will "sell" the car to my mom & dad who live in CA, and they can have it fixed under warranty.

-John
See that is what I don't get. I live in NV and bought it in CA. So I have a 10yr 150K warranty for the hybrid parts. But I have to be in a state when the work is requested. So if the battery goes out I could tow it to CA and have the work done?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by denverjay

Does anyone have a vehicle that is listed as anything but SULEV on the emissions sticker under the hood? Or, a better way to ask it - Does anyone in the non-CA emissions states have a vehicle lableled as BIN4?
No. 100% of the FEH produced are SULEV.
That is exactly what I've been trying to tell you.
I refrain from posting conjecture.
Not everyone else does.
I try my best not to waste people's time.
Accept it, and move on.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
See that is what I don't get. I live in NV and bought it in CA. So I have a 10yr 150K warranty for the hybrid parts. But I have to be in a state when the work is requested. So if the battery goes out I could tow it to CA and have the work done?
This is where I openly admit I am not positive.
If you have Nevada plates, aka, Nevada registration, you may be denied.
You probably will be denied.

If you sell the car to someone in CA, and the car is registered in CA at the time warranty service is needed, it would be covered.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 PM

[quote=denverjay;193606]So, you have nothing but hearsay to back up your "positive" statement.

If I am correct, John obtained this information at the October 2005 Hyberfest held in Dearborn. The FEH owners met and interacted with the FEH engineers and management including Mary Ann Wright. John came the longest distance (is this correct?) and represented mulitple FEH owners in his region. John was assigned to the top FEH engineer who has remaned nameless. Pressing deeper into my memory, John bested the previous FEH fuel efficiency test course record when he posted a 52 (?) mpg result.

No I was not there. A few weeks earlier I was at the Ford Museum and immediate surrounding grounds for the "Old Car Festival" weekend.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Mostly correct Billy.

Dearborn had set up their own "MPG Challenge Course".
The "top engineer" who had 4 years of practice with a FEH ( yes, they were testing them in secret in 2001 ) had set a course record of 51 MPG.

I took the same course, with 6 months of driving practice.
I had the now infamous Wayne Gerdes in the car with me, two Ford Hybrid engineers, and one (300 pound?) reporter in the car. Needless to say, 5 grown men totaled 1000 pounds of "cargo".
It was October and outside air in Michigan was in the 50's.

On an already warm engine, I took the course without any prior knowlege or practice, as the course was not made public in advance. The course was about 8 miles IIRC with 6 miles of city with stoplights, and 2 miles of highway (55 MPH zone ).

At the end of the course, I had 54.1 MPG on the NAV screen.
( This was before I owned a SG and the NAV or dash was the official meter used in all the comparisons anyway at the event. )

Funny.... before we started, one engineer said, " XYZ, our best man, got 51 MPG on this course, but we, of course, don't expect any owners to get that. He had 4 years of practice." Ha!

P.S. Billy, I came the longest distance on Sunday morning. Someone drove from Calif. on Saturday I think. I think it was the owner of FEH # 0001 who came from California the day prior who really drove the farthest.

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-16-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Cool story John.

Wish I could have been there.

Quick Reply: 77 Escape Hybrid in inventory=one dealer!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands