61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
If you want aggressive, all-weather tires that will actually improve your MPG a little, take a look at the Nokian WR tires from Finland.

JeffD
I actually looked at this tire which also carries the snowflake/mountain label meaning it meets the severe winter ratings. If I remember correctly, there are only 4 all-season tires that carry this label. I decided to go with Goodyear Tripletread tires instead of Nokian WR because I could get them $12 a piece cheaper. The limited number of dealers that carried this brand was another concern. The Goodyear tires carry a 60,000 mile treadwear rating opposed to a 50,000 rating for the Nokian WR. Finally, I read a few posts at the Volvo XC Forum site where some posters had issues about tire noise on dry pavement. That is a common issue with the stock Conti Ecoplus tires and I didn't want another set of tires with the same issue.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I just drove my hybrid 550 miles the Contiential tires are probabl the loudest worst handling tires I have ever had on any new vehicle.

I just traded them in, and purchased Michellin LTX M&S....a dramatically huge improvement!!!!!!

I got 55 a piece for the Cont. The Mich. where 155 a piece.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:13 PM
HEV's are your friend

Originally Posted by Billyk
I actually looked at this tire which also carries the snowflake/mountain label meaning it meets the severe winter ratings. If I remember correctly, there are only 4 all-season tires that carry this label.
I didn't know they were all season as well

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I asked that ? and they said that they have lots of people that run them all year round. All I know is that they are quiet, and handle so much better......they are not All Terrian aggresive. I can shoot a pic of the tread if that helps.

I purchased from Zurcher Firestone, they sell ALOT of tires, so I usually trust them.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Engineering Professor

I actually looked at this tire which also carries the snowflake/mountain label meaning it meets the severe winter ratings. If I remember correctly, there are only 4 all-season tires that carry this label. I decided to go with Goodyear Tripletread tires instead of Nokian WR because I could get them $12 a piece cheaper. The limited number of dealers that carried this brand was another concern. The Goodyear tires carry a 60,000 mile treadwear rating opposed to a 50,000 rating for the Nokian WR. Finally, I read a few posts at the Volvo XC Forum site where some posters had issues about tire noise on dry pavement. That is a common issue with the stock Conti Ecoplus tires and I didn't want another set of tires with the same issue.
Bill,

The problem with the TripleTreads is that they will reduce your MPG a little. The Nokians are Low Rolling Resistance Tires and I bought my hybrid to get good MPG.

I ordered my new Nokian WRs on-line from the Tire Factory (My H-rated 185/65R15s were on special for $97 each). They arrived in three days and were installed locally for $42.

They have only been on my Prius for a short time, but no significant noise problem yet and they ride well at 42/40 psi (front/rear).

JeffD

Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 AM
HEV's are your friend

Hey Jeff, another Connecticut-er here!

If they hold up well all season, and will not be destroyed in the summer time, they sound like a good option. The more I read about them they sound awesome.

I tried to find out how they could be purchused online, however was unsuccessful. I had originally been looking a only tire-rack, however they do not appear to carry this brand at all.

However they are still a good amount more than the Avon's I was looking at

Last edited by EOppie; 11-03-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Well, I learned another thing from this forum--low rolling resistance from the NOKIAN WR tires. I wished you would of chipped in earlier in the year when I had a post on this item. I only know of this tire from the Volvo XC site that I used to monitor prior to purchasing my Hybrid.

As for purchasing on line, I believe tirediscount.com has them listed. My Pc is down and I am using my laptop which doesn't have all the information at my fingertips.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Engineering Professor

I wished you would of chipped in earlier in the year when I had a post on this item.
Bill,

Sorry, but as a Prius owner I only stop in here once in a while to see how the Ford Hybrids are doing. Besides, I only put the Nokian WRs on my Prius a week ago and I haven't collected enough data to evaluate their effect on MPG yet. My MPG file is attached and I will report again in a couple of months on their relative MPG performance.

JeffD

Attached Files
File Type: xls
PriusGasMileage.xls (72.0 KB, 155 views)
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Well, I learned another thing from this forum--low rolling resistance from the NOKIAN WR tires. I wished you would of chipped in earlier in the year when I had a post on this item. I only know of this tire from the Volvo XC site that I used to monitor prior to purchasing my Hybrid.

As for purchasing on line, I believe tirediscount.com has them listed. My Pc is down and I am using my laptop which doesn't have all the information at my fingertips.
Rechecking on the Nokian tire site, the wording states
"better rolling resistance" opposed to low rolling resistance.

HD Silica Compound (100% Silica*)
*Passenger Tires OnlyProvides excellent grip, longer mileage, and better rolling resistance while maintaining winter properties

Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 AM
HEV's are your friend

Anyone know if the Rolling Resistance is any lower on the Nokian WR SUV tires vs. the Goodyear Tripple Treads?

I am going to chat with tirefactory today to see what they offer on the Nokians...

Quick Reply: 61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands