4WD indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default 4WD indicator?

My wife and I just bought a 2007 4WD Escape Hybrid, so you'll probably be seeing a bunch of random questions from me.

We haven't taken it offroad yet. Is there any kind of light or other notification that comes on when power is going to the rear?

Lloyd

Old 09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4WD indicator?

No... there doesn't appear to be. Mines a 4WD too. Even the NAV which I have gives no indication and only lights up the front wheels.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I only have a 2WD but I own a service manual that covers both.

You will only see 4x4 information or light if there is a problem, such as 4x4 won't enable, or 4x4 won't disable after a 4x4 event.

In this case, no news, is good news!
-John

Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I only have a 2WD but I own a service manual that covers both.

You will only see 4x4 information or light if there is a problem, such as 4x4 won't enable, or 4x4 won't disable after a 4x4 event.

In this case, no news, is good news!
-John
Quite. There is no indication at all really that it's in 4WD mode. I had thought initially that the energy flow display may display all 4 illuminated should I be in 4WD mode, but it's not the case.

I've been in a few situations where I know it was in use, and there's no indication of such.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

On my "other" Ford, there is a Traction Control indicator on the dash to tell me when TC has been engaged due to poor traction. I had thought that the hybrid's 4WD system, which also activates only due to poor traction, would have an indicator light too.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Enthusiast

WaltPA wrote: "On my "other" Ford, there is a Traction Control indicator on the dash to tell me when TC has been engaged due to poor traction. I had thought that the hybrid's 4WD system, which also activates only due to poor traction, would have an indicator light too."

Regarding the light that comes on during traction control; if traction control is engaged, wheel slip has already occurred. The light is illuminated, informing the driver of this condition. Additionally, traction control works by reducing wheel torque in order to slow the spinning wheel(s) down and hopefully regain traction; so the light is informing the driver of that non-directly commanded operation.

Check out the 3rd posting at this page (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum...098#post112098) you'll read that, "The Intelligent 4WD System uses a fully computer-controlled clutch that engages the rear wheels only as needed. Using sensors at each wheel and at the accelerator pedal, the system’s computer calculates – dozens of times per second – exactly how much torque to send to the rear wheels to minimize slip. It can even predict slip and preclude it from happening at all." The two conditions mentioned regarding tractino control do not occur when the system operates as intended: one, wheel slip is preempted by AWD interaction; and two, wheel torque is not reduced.

As the system includes a computer controlled clutch, which is turned on and off rapidly as needed; Ford may have decided that it would have been confusing to flash the light on and off, especially at times when the clutch was quickly pulsed such as during a wide open pedal launches.