4 Miles to E.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 4 Miles to E.

I got home last night and my display said 4 Miles to E. So how far can I really go? I am about 4 miles to the gas station so I'm not worry about running out of gas, just wondering. I would be too nervous to go much past 0 Miles to E.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4 Miles to E.

I've gone at least 30miles past "empty". I think there is like an extra 1.0-1.3 gallons in the tank based on my and other users reported experience. Others have gone as much as 50miles past "empty".

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

Is there not a concerne about burning up the fuel pump while running that low on fuel?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

0 MTE = 1.3 gallons of "reserve" left in 2005-2007. I suspect it would be the same for 2008.

I dont recall seeing any warnings in the owner's manual about running to empty... but that doesn't mean you should do it every week.

You can run on battery for 1-2 miles at reduced speed ( about 22 MPH ) as long as you don't turn the key off when you run out. Ford made sure you can at least move the car to a safe place if/when you do run out of gas. -John

Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

The fuel pump concern is probably a fable. This started when fuel pumps were relocated to the gas tank and submerged. Logic is that when the gas is low, the pump is no longer cooled by the fuel. Actual fact is that the pump is adequately cooled by the fuel passing through the pump, not the fuel around the outside. Running the pump dry could cause damage (but won't actually happen). Running with a low tank level is no problem.