3 car seats in back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default 3 car seats in back seat?

I drive my daily 110 mile commute in my 03 Honda Insight and love it! What I don't love is the horrible mileage we get in my wife's minivan.

Does anyone have experience with fitting 3 car seats in the back of an Escape?

My 3 sons, 17 mo, 4 yrs and 6 yrs are all in Britax car seats which are absolutely fantastic,, but take up a fair amount of space. I could barely fit them in my 98 Audi A8 that I sold when I got my Insight.

Before I waste my time treking to the dealer to try and fit the seats in an Escape, I figured I'd check in here first.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 3 car seats in back seat?

I can't say for certain that three car seats will fit in the back but I do know that two will fit with an adult sitting back there as well. I have an almost 4 year old that sits in a big fancy booster seat and a newborn in a rear-facing car seat and there is still room in between for a normal sized adult to sit.

Since all three seats now have shoulder belts, I would think you would be able to come up with a seating arrangement that works.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM

I think you could probably fit the two front facing seats on the left and right and the rear facing in the middle. Its just so hard to say because so many child seats vary in size. Can they fit across the minivan? How wide of a space do you need? See if you can set them side by side by side and measure the required space....someone could easily measure the interior room in the escape to compare.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 3 car seats in back seat?

Hi,

This is not everythingsgonegreen--it is his wife. He passed this on to me as I am a car seat technician.

We have the 2005 Escape Hybrid, and we have 2 children, with plans for a third shortly. We took this into consideration when we purchased the vehicle. As a car seat technician, I get to see how different car seat configurations work in various vehicles, and I can assure you that it is possible to use three car seats in the Escape.
What you cannot do, however, is fit three Britax car seats in the back of this vehicle. It is not possible to do safely. If it is of utmost importance to you that you continue to use those seats, you will need to choose another vehicle. Keep in mind that while Britax has a good reputation and the seats are built nicely, all car seats must meet the same safety testing standards, and choosing different car seats would not result in any decrease in the safety of your children. You could probably sell your Britax seats for a good sum.

Since you're interested in the car seat compatibility/Escape issue, I should tell you that the Escape allows for the use of LATCH in the middle position of the rear, so long as you do not use LATCH on either outboard position. Most vehicles do not allow LATCH to be used in the middle position at all. Of course, with three car seats, it's up to you whether you use LATCH for the middle, or the two outboards, or none at all if you prefer to use the seatbelts.

Hope this is helpful,
Melissa

Old 07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

There was a customer when I worked at a Ford dealership that had triplets and he had an Excursion. He said that was the only vehicle he could fit three carseats in a row in. But I don't have a clue about that sort of thing.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's the efficiency-buster (wife) again:

I have also put three car seats safely into the back of a compact sedan. It depends on the seats you choose. Many are quite slim.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by everythingsgonegreen
It's the efficiency-buster (wife) again:

I have also put three car seats safely into the back of a compact sedan. It depends on the seats you choose. Many are quite slim.
Can't you just stack two kids in one seat....

KIDDING!!!! very dangerous!!!!!! I don't have any of my own.

Safety experts will state they are always safer in the back... however at least this car has an airbag in the front that is supposed to disable if there is a car seat in there. But I'd try to wedge the little one in the back... safely of course (1 to a seat )

Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 PM
It is easy being green

i dont know what the size difference is between the back seat of the escape and the backseat of a mercury grand marquis, but my sons father can fit 3 large forward facing car seats in the back of his car. i would say go down to the dealership and give it a try, cant hurt nuthin

Old 07-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
however at least this car has an airbag in the front that is supposed to disable if there is a car seat in there.
When my wife is a passenger in either the '05 or the '06, unless she is sitting perfectly upright in the middle of the seat, the "Pasenger Airbag Disabled" light comes on. It must figure that due to her weight, she is either a child, real short or a car seat. She is 5'-8" and 115# - I would think that would trigger the airbag to work.

My state doesn't have any prohibition against children in the front seat (that I am aware of) but I believe some states do. The so-called "smart" airbags are supposed to allow smaller people to ride safely in the front passenger seat. Check with your state. You could always put one forward-facing seat up front and the other adult could be in the back tending to the babies.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

Just wondering if you might have specific suggestions for "slim" car seats. We just found out we're pregnant with #3, and we're not quite ready to part with our 2003 Civic Hybrid. I have fantasies of getting 3 car seats in the back seat, but I'm doubting this is actually possible. I'd be happy to buy new carseats for all if it means we can hold on to our car for a few more years. We'll need car seats for a newborn, 2 year old and 4 year old.

Quick Reply: 3 car seats in back seat?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands