2022-23 Ford Maverick Hybrid WOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2022-23 Ford Maverick Hybrid WOW

I hadn't known until this morning, but it looks to me like the powertrain in a 2022-23 Ford Maverick Hybrid pickup truck is an almost DEAD RINGER for the one in a 2004-2012 Escape Hybrid.

Same 2.5l I4 Atkinson Cycle Engine (just updated), what looks to be very similar MECS cooling system, etc. I haven't dug into the details of the battery system yet. But whew! It looks a lot like Ford resurrected this powertrain, modernized it a bit, gave it a little more power, and put it into a pickup truck. And it looks like it has as much or more rear-seat legroom than our Hybrids. Put a top on the bed and you've got something very interesting. It will allegedly haul 1500 pounds and tow 2000.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...8-c2c26d03cf05

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...0-1cdfbac3a15a

ENGINE TYPE Port-injected Atkinson-cycle DOHC 16-valve I-4, plus permanent-magnet electric motors
DISPLACEMENT 2,485cc/151.6 cu in
COMPRESSION RATIO 13.0:1
POWER (SAE NET) 162 hp @ 5,600 rpm (gas), 126 hp (elec); 191 hp (comb).
TORQUE (SAE NET) 155 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm (gas), 173 lb-ft (elec)

Look familiar? In Hybrid form it is 2WD only but get the price: Under $25 grand to start, and I equipped one out with a lot of options and a bed cap for about MSRP $33,500.

Just for reference, the 2WD Limited Hybrid was $32,370 MSRP back in 2010. That is $43,966.02 in today's "money." So given everything else it's a bargain. And the EPA ratings are quite a bit higher, suggesting to me that the hybrid battery has more capacity City/Hwy/Combined: 42/33/37 mpg

Here's a video. About halfway through he starts talking about the powertrain. My ONLY question is: How does it manage the battery thermals?

Last edited by AlexK; 09-26-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:55 PM
2009 MMH
Default Re: 2022-23 Ford Maverick Hybrid WOW

Looks like the biggest difference is the battery, Lithium vs our older NiMH, someone wrote that Lithium is 25% lighter and 20% smaller
it's also supposed to be liquid cooled,
Hot seller, it' it's already sold out for 2023

Old 09-28-2022, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bkorbin
Looks like the biggest difference is the battery, Lithium vs our older NiMH, someone wrote that Lithium is 25% lighter and 20% smaller
it's also supposed to be liquid cooled, Hot seller, it' it's already sold out for 2023
Yes I see that supply is tight on these but if the battery is really liquid cooled and the thermals are well managed, I really like it. The problem with my 2010 is keeping the battery alive in the heat because the rear A/C evap was deleted in 2009.

I'm still trying to confirm that, but thank you.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

I ordered one for myself as well on 9/16/22, with the idea of replacing my '06 FEH. Ordered an XLT Hybrid with no other options. I wanted the Lux package as well, but given how constrained the Hybrid model already is, I decided I can live without a few of the options. My philosophy was to not add anything I could add myself after the fact. Hoping it'll come before the end of next year.

@AlexK I'm pretty confident the battery is liquid cooled. Take a gander here:

Last edited by 10Terp; 10-26-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 10Terp
@AlexK I'm pretty confident the battery is liquid cooled. Take a gander here:
That's a GREAT video, thank you so much. It's so clear and concise, and that guy really understands engineering and vehicle construction in a deep way. The battery is *both* liquid cooled and heated as he discusses starting around 8:50.

Even though Ford did a lot to cut costs, I am still impressed with the basic engineering. The LAST question I have is whether the TRANSAXLE FLUID can be changed by the owner. are there fill and drain plugs like the 2004-2012 FEH?

That is my last "hang up" before making a decision but I am impressed so far.

Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2022, 08:03 AM

BTW the cost-cutting measures he talks about are a little concerning but almost all of them amount to surface finishes and a cheapo rear muffler/tailpipe. In other words, things that a semi-wrench-savvy owner can keep an eye on and fix relatively inexpensively. We know the basic ICE engine is durable, and the transaxle should be too. Time will tell what areas become problems. I *did* like that really big water pump that does away with the electric MECS pump.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexK
That's a GREAT video, thank you so much. It's so clear and concise, and that guy really understands engineering and vehicle construction in a deep way. The battery is *both* liquid cooled and heated as he discusses starting around 8:50.

Even though Ford did a lot to cut costs, I am still impressed with the basic engineering. The LAST question I have is whether the TRANSAXLE FLUID can be changed by the owner. are there fill and drain plugs like the 2004-2012 FEH?

That is my last "hang up" before making a decision but I am impressed so far.

Thanks again!
No problem! Pause the video at 5:57 and I’m pretty sure I spy a transaxle drain plug.

All that said, the order banks for 2023 are closed unfortunately (they were only open for ~5 days). Ford has basically said dealers will be getting some stock, but expect them to be hard to find and marked up. You can find them at carvana but they’ve got $10k markups on them, which to me severely reduces the appeal. The XLT I built came in at a touch over $26k.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good review by Jordan - he knows automotive engineering really well by the sounds of it. That centre/end muffler was very yucky and would biodegrade very quickly in Canada.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

What do you think about Vinfast's electric car? Is it safe?

Old 09-25-2023, 01:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
Good review by Jordan - he knows automotive engineering really well by the sounds of it. That centre/end muffler was very yucky and would biodegrade very quickly in Canada.
I have a 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid and really like it.

Mostly I like the added instrumentation that helps you stretch the EV mode driving up to 3 miles per segment. I've actually gone 2.5 miles out to lunch on battery power alone.

It drops into EV mode all the frickin time and will drive EV up to 80 MPH. That is, once at 80 and flat or downhill you can maintain in EV.

It's about as "weak" pulling away from a stop as the Escape. So now SOP is to accelerate with gas, cruise in EV.

I get 47 to 57 MPG routinely in the city.
The 2000lb tow rating is artificially low if you ask me. It's capable of more.

The truck that drives like a car.

Quick Reply: 2022-23 Ford Maverick Hybrid WOW

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands