2010 Escape Safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Default 2010 Escape Safety

The 2010 Escape will feature:

Integrated Spotter Mirror (standard) - a consumer-friendly, affordable blind spot technology that consists of an outside rearview mirror designed with a secondary convex spotter in the top outer corner, which is aimed exclusively at the driver's blind spot. When traffic enters the driver's blind spot on either side of the vehicle, it is visible in the secondary convex mirror, helping provide the driver broader peripheral view.

MyKey (standard) - allows owners to program a key that can limit the vehicle's top speed and audio volume. MyKey also encourages safety-belt usage, provides earlier low-fuel warnings and can be programmed to sound chimes at 45, 55 and 65 miles per hour. This feature is standard on Escape models featuring a message center cluster, including XLT and above.

Rear View Camera System - uses an exterior camera embedded in the rear of the vehicle that sends images to a video display in the rearview mirror or the navigation system screen to help enhance visibility directly behind the vehicle when it is in reverse. Ford is leveraging the affordability of high-quality video cameras to widely offer the technology with navigation systems.

ActivePark Assist - uses an ultrasonic-based sensing system and Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) to position the vehicle for parallel parking, calculate the optimal steering angle and quickly steer the vehicle into a parking spot. The technology is a major leap forward in speed and ease of use compared with the camera-reliant systems offered by competitors. Ford's system requires less driver interaction and reduces the risk of selecting a parking spot that is too tight. Ford's Active Park Assist also works in downhill parking situations, unlike competing systems.

SYNC - Ford is expanding its connectivity leadership by introducing exclusive new SYNC real-time information features. The new Escape is one of the first vehicles to introduce this innovation - SYNC with Traffic, Directions and Information - which leverages industry-leading voice-recognition software, integrated GPS technology, and a customer's Bluetooth-capable mobile phone. SYNC's new services provide simple hands-free access to personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn driving directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports, and weather.

A recent study shows that SYNC's hands-free system significantly reduces the level of distraction when drivers select a phone number or choose a song on their MP3 player compared with the same operations performed with hand-held cell phones and music players.

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...4984057&EDATE=

GaryG

Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Escape Safety

I'd like to see a keyless start like Toyota has. Key stays in your pocket.

No new gauge cluster?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Guess that's the same info as here: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=143367

Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

The thing they have named "SYNC with Traffic, Directions and Information" is not the same as the Sirius Travel Link on the 09 MY with the Ford Next Gen Nav Systems.

The "SYNC with Traffic, Directions and Information" sounds like it will be delivered at no cost to the user(?) via the an FM TMC (traffic Message Channels). I haven't seen any confirmation there is no charge for this, but it sounds that way to me. FM TMC signals are in major metropolitan areas only.

Sirius Travel Link is subscripion based ($6.95/month), but it's a satellite signal, and so available everywhere.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like nice features, but I guess the 2010 isn't getting the electric air conditioning from the Fusion.

Dave

Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Guess I'll have to keep my '09 for another year.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dang, a few nicies. But I won't be ready for another until the eldest kid turns 16 in 5 yrs, so what a 2015/16 model.

A push button start ?!?! eh it's not that hard to turn a key for a split second. Elec AC? Ford's not gonna do it because I'm sure it'd hurt the MPG's and then it's not the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet. But with Plug-in's comming soon, I think they'll have to.

I think I could have talked my 80yr great-granny into one of these last summer if it only had an auto liftgate. She's gotta be able to open & close it for grocieries etc, and of couse now she's driving a granny mobile, a new 1984 crown vic or something like that!

I'd love to see user programmeble settings: EV override (like THH), creep feature, etc. Not gonna happen, but would be nice!